Migraine with aura?

Eegee

Reaction score
I'm about 9 or 10 weeks pregnant and I've had very few symptoms - those I have had have been quite mild. However, about half an hour ago I had a strange problem with my eyes. I was watching television and on Facebook on my phone when my vision started to go blurry. I couldn't see properly out of what I thought was the left side of my left eye, but I soon realised it was happening in both eyes in the same area. In a large "C" shaped area, zig zags of nearby colours were racing back and forth and I couldn't make out much at all in that area. I went to lay down and it has eased off a bit now, and when I looked it up on the Internet I discovered it might be a migraine. I've never had one before but I've read that they can happen in pregnancy. Has anyone else experienced this? I know I should go to see my doctor but it is quite difficult to get an appointment and I'm sure I'll just be told to wait and see what happens and go back if it keeps happening. I'm quite overweight but my blood pressure was okay last time it was checked (high end of 'normal'). Should I be worried?

I'm about 9 or 10 weeks pregnant and I've had very few symptoms - those I have had have been quite mild. However, about half an hour ago I had a strange problem with my eyes. I was watching television and on Facebook on my phone when my vision started to go blurry. I couldn't see properly out of what I thought was the left side of my left eye, but I soon realised it was happening in both eyes in the same area. In a large "C" shaped area, zig zags of nearby colours were racing back and forth and I couldn't make out much at all in that area. I went to lay down and it has eased off a bit now, and when I looked it up on the Internet I discovered it might be a migraine. I've never had one before but I've read that they can happen in pregnancy. Has anyone else experienced this? I know I should go to see my doctor but it is quite difficult to get an appointment and I'm sure I'll just be told to wait and see what happens and go back if it keeps happening. I'm quite overweight but my blood pressure was okay last time it was checked (high end of 'normal'). Should I be worried?

Don't be worried too much hun these are what eye doctors refer to as ocular migraines. I used to get them all the time and for me they were hormonal related so I am surprised I haven't had one yet sonce falling pregnant.

The eye doctors I worked for used to get patients scheduling appts when these would occur and most of the time they were never serious. Is it one eye or both (you can cover one eye then the other to check)? Very rarely these are more serious and called retinal migraines which are due to an underlying medical condition but 9 out 10 times it was a regular ocular migraine. If you start to see flashes of light or you find your vision loss is in one eye only and persistent go see your eye doctor otherwise just take a paracetamol and hope you don't get the actual migraine that can follow the visual show sometimes!

Thanks for replying! It was in the exact same place in both eyes which made me think it was probably actually in my head. You've helped reassure me anyway :D

Thanks for replying! It was in the exact same place in both eyes which made me think it was probably actually in my head. You've helped reassure me anyway :D

Well I'm glad to help! If it continues or gets worse get it checked out to be safe hun. Is it easier to get in to see an eye doctor than other doctors where you are? Just curious from a standpoint of my background.

yes i agree - ocular migraine! i had the exact same thing a few weeks for the first time! and it happened the next day too. if it's the exact same in both eyes - you're right, likely from the head which is reassuring. hormone changes bring them on.

yes i agree - ocular migraine! i had the exact same thing a few weeks for the first time! and it happened the next day too. if it's the exact same in both eyes - you're right, likely from the head which is reassuring. hormone changes bring them on.

Lovely aren't they lol! Pretty light and color shows. Like having a cocktail or two in a lot of ways and even a hangover to boot sometimes haha! Ahh the luggage we carry with pregnancy hormones!

Yep, I'd say it's hormone related too. I used to get these when I took Microgynon years ago. I had to stop taking it because of this. Haven't had a migraine since. As soon as you see the first hint of a spot appear in your vision, go and lie down in a dark room until it's gone...and don't drive!
Unfortunately there's nothing you can take for it.
Sometimes I'd sleep for hours when they were happening and I'd be wiped out afterwards.
Hopefully they'll not stay with you for long.

Ocular migraine, I had one in the 2ww. I don't usually get them, I normally just have full blown migraines instead, ugh! Hormones!!

I've had two this pregnancy around 8/9 weeks, haven't had one in ages before that. I was told it was completely normal and just hormonal.

I don't know whether it's the sort of thing I'd have to get referred for... I just find anything health-related a bit of a hassle - everything seems to require an appointment which are a nightmare to get, or waiting around for ages. They advise you not to Google things, but it's the quickest way to get answers, otherwise you end up getting left for weeks or fobbed off with piffly made up answers!

Thanks for everyone's input - I didn't have a repeat today thankfully but I'll see what happens. I don't drive which I guess is a good thing! :) Just hope it doesn't happen at a more inappropriate time like when I'm out or with family - only two members of my family know I'm pregnant because I can't even cope with the stress of telling the others (I can imagine how they'd react and it's not great haha).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->