MIL and potty training?

DoodleDoo

Reaction score
Our DD (2.2) has been potty trained over the last few weeks. She does all of her wees (in home, out and at nursery) in her potty and the last week or so, all of her poos have been going in there too. She knows how to ask when she needs to go potty. However, when she goes to her grandma's house, it seems to be a different story.

DD visits MIL once a week, and absolutely loves her grandma. However, last week when MIL took DD out, despite the fact she'd been peeing in the potty all morning, MIL decided to change her into a nappy (against our explicit wishes). When we picked DD up a few hours later she ran to me saying "I need a wee, Mummy". As soon as I took her nappy off she filled half a potty. Turns out she'd held her pee in for THREE hours. We asked MIL and she said "oh yes, she was telling me she needed to go but she was in a nappy as we didn't want to carry the potty with us." :dohh:

Today, I feel a bit desperate. We spoke to MIL when we dropped DD off to say she wears pants now. MIL agreed she'd take the potty out with them. Feeling confident we left. I had packed her a spare pair of pants, and a change of clothes but we were just called to say she's wet the clothes she was wearing and her change within a couple of hours. She's not had a peeing accident in forever. So now, lo and behold, she's in a nappy again. (We didn't even send her with any, they decided to buy some.)

I don't know what to do. I know MIL doesn't agree that we're training her so early (all her other eight grandchildren were at least three), she's made this quite clear, but she's honestly ready. I completely trust DD's potty ability at home and whenever she's out and about with us but for some reason it's just not working with her grandma. I'm quite sure DD is comfortable enough with her to tell her, and I don't want to have to stop MIL from looking after her as she's usually brilliant. I just don't know if MIL is trying to prove her potty training thoughts by deliberately ignoring DD's need.

Anyone else dealt with this before? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->