• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MIL mis-pronouncing name

LoveCakes

Reaction score
My lb is 6 weeks old and MIL is still mis-pronouncing his name. This isn't a rant as I'm sure it's not deliberate but it is frustrating.

We picked an Irish name which isn't common in our area but is pretty familiar to me. I think she'd never heard it before so understandably it would take a few goes but she's still doing it. It only has 2 syllables.

I think she has the wrong one in her head so much to not say it it comes out first. If she does it in front of me I just say it correctly soon after, other family members call her out on it but then that gets her all flustered.

Any advice?

Unfortunately not. My LO is 3 now and my mum still mispronounces their name. Granted, there are two common ways of pronouncing it but you'd think after hearing all of us say it correctly for THREE YEARS, as well as having been corrected directly? she'd cotton on to the difference. I've given up correcting her as she maintains she can't hear the difference and I'm just being difficult. It's very obvious to me and everyone else though. My hope now is that LO will start correcting her soon. :haha:

One thought: seeing as it's still early, could you get someone else in the family to help you out but asking how it's pronounced in front of MIL? Then you could legitimately repeat it a few times and maybe MIL would realise?

Maybe you could find a word that it sounds like or rymes with. And then keep saying in front of her "as in ... with a 'd' at he end " or "it rymes with..." or whatever works for the name obviously. If she has it wrong in her head maybe that would help correct it.

I would give her some time, six weeks really isn't that long especially as she's probably not saying it all the time.

I have a lot of trouble pronouncing names that are very different to what I'm used to because my accent simplifies a lot of sounds, so slight differentiations go generally unnoticed or very hard for me to say.

I'd let her try to get it on her own for a bit longer, he's young enough that it's not going to be confusing for him if someone is mispronouncing his name. I'd guess after a while of hearing it pronounced correctly she'll come around to doing it herself without even necessarily realizing.

We have an Isobel on the way and my grandmother purposefully calls her Isabella... My oldest boy fixed it though, he told her off so now there is no problem. It depends if they are doing it on purpose or not really..

How old is MIL? An older lady friends with my ML took a couple weeks to get my daughter's name right. I just assumed it was because of her age.

We have an Isobel on the way and my grandmother purposefully calls her Isabella... My oldest boy fixed it though, he told her off so now there is no problem. It depends if they are doing it on purpose or not really..

Omg my nan called my sister (called louise) louisa her whole life!

6 weeks is plenty of time...how hard can it be really?

My son is named Mason, and my MIL used to call him "Mass-on".
It isn't a hard na me to pronounce and it really annoyed me.
I used to snap and just say "his name is bloody Mason" and she would just laugh!

My fil does it with my daughter name or shortens it. Both annoy me, he is her only grandchidl and it's not hard.

I had an acquaintance who's name I constantly got wrong when we first met. Her name was Clara and I'd pronounce it as Clah-Rah, the correct pronounciation rhymed with Sarah. It wasn't until she actually said to me "Clara like Sarah" that it finally clicked in my brain and I never got it wrong after that.

Maybe your MIL just needs a rhyme or "sounds like" to help it click in her brain.

My dad has four grandchildren, and he pronounced every one of their names wrong for the first several months of their lives. He's just not good with names. Some people aren't :shrug: I think the rhyming idea is a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->