MIL refused to congratulate us!

xcharx

Reaction score
IM soo angry!!
OH & DD went to MILs on sat for a bbq (i was suppose to go but was full of a cold & sore throat so stayed in bed) and DD getting a sibling came into convo with MIL friends. OH then told MIL that there was one on the way & she was not happy! She started saying its going to be a small age gap (there's less than 3 years between OH and his brother yet theyll be 3&1/2 between DD &LO) which annoyed OH as u could imagine.. Then MILs friends said congratulations to which MIL said 'well i wont be congratulating you ' and walked off!! How can she be so rude!!
i know why shes not happy, because she thinks were poor - which were not! Were just not loaded like she is!
grrrrr that rant was needed

she will realise sooner or later that shes in the wrong and come around, understand how annoyed you must be though, its none of her business if you want another 12 + children or what gap you leave between them.
We haven't told anybody yet and probably wont for a bit yet anyway

Oh what a nice woman
Don't let her bother you hun not sure what her problem is but it's exactly that her problem

Emma

I feel ya I'm actually scared of when his mother finds out I know she won't be happy about it at all

What a nasty bitch xx
congratulations on your pregnancy. Theres 13.5 months between my 2 DD's xx

It's sad that she feels that way, but don't allow it to overshadow the blessing that is growing inside of you. her congrats would have been appreciated but aren't required you be that great mommy and she will eventually come around...

I know how you feel - when my ex-MIL was told about this baby, she called her a mistake.

Chin up - the only people who matter here are you, your OH, your daughter and your baby :)

What a hateful response!! I'm so sorry, and I hope she comes around soon. But, if not, you still have every right to be thrilled! It is a wonderful, exciting blessing...and beyond that, I was 1 of 4, and there is an almost exact 3 year gap between each of us. And I think it was perfect...close enough to have things in common, far enough to rarely fight. : )

My MIL and my own MOM were not happy when I announced I was pregnant with my first one because I was SO early and I had a miscarriage with DH 7 years before that they were cautiously optimistic but it came across as COLD.

This time, they were doing cartwheels! My MIL was literally RUNNING next door to his sisters house while on the phone still to bust in and tell her!

Give them some time, and if they don't come around O WELL! It's really going to be your baby and OH's baby, so screw em!

I was disappointed the first time with the way no one seem happy for us since they wanted us to be parents so bad, but I got over it and enjoyed DH AND MY happiness!

Don't let others rain on your parade!

My mil was the same...... when we found out we were expecting, my oh called her and told her, and the first thing she said was "I thought you guys were going to wait" she still has not said congrats and never asks about how im doing or anything like that....she was so excited about my ds, and it hurts that she is being a birth to this baby....thankfully she lives in a different country and we never see her! I think she primarily got upset because she wanted to come live with is and now she knows theres no room for her now lol

She sounds horrid! We aren't massively well off but if this baby turns out to be a 'keeper' (I'm only about 7+3 though that's a conservative estimate) I expect our family to be happy for us. We'll be a bit broke, certainly, but we will break even and it's better to have a new baby now than in a few years when our fixed mortgage rate will come to an end.

I don't think 3 and a half years is a small age gap at all - I think it's massive. There were two years between me and my brother. There's a year and a half between my hubby and his sister. Nearly everyone who had a baby round the time I had Eleanor has had another already.

Just tell her she won't get to see the baby when it arrives then. Grumpy lady!

Thanks for the support ladie :hugs:
sorry to hear alot of you also have a cow for a MIL!
its my DD bday tomorrow so im guessing shell pop round - dreading it! I don't think ill be able to hold my tongue.
BIL hasn't spoken to her in over a year now so i thought shed make more of an effort with me & OH! Clearly not!

Me and my OH are relentless pranksters, so when we announced NOBODY believed us! His parents said they'll believe it when they see it. We wouldn't joke about something like that and it kind of hurt my feelings because no one believed us.

I am so glad I dont have a MIL hearing all these stories! (FIL is a different matter!!).

Maybe she was upset you told her in front of her friends? Pretty nasty way to react though.

I have only had one person act excited about this baby though. Maybe people just dont get excited over a second baby??

That's shocking! ! I just can't get my head around why anyone could be so negative about the prospect of new baby being born!!
My MIL is awesome (sorry), and will be super excited when we tell her of our latest addition!! We had a mc last year and she was devastated and stepped up by having my DD for a week whilst I was in hospital, we made no secret of TTC straight after, it's taken us 8 months so there will be a 2.5yr age gap between my DD and the new baby but I think this is perfect and everyone will be ecstatic..as they should be!! Xoxo

We told my SO's mother in person and I'll never forget the look of disgust on her face and the way she acted. I couldn't go around his family for weeks after that, NO ONE has the right to make you feel ashamed about your baby. That's a problem in her parenting skills, not yours. I'm trying to get along, for my love's sake, but I still feel completely appalled and disrespected over it. My lo wasn't planned, but will never be referred to as a mistake.

Hopefully your MIL changes her attitude, if not, well her approval isn't needed. Keep your chin up Hun, some people are just a**holes.

Thanks for the support ladie :hugs:
sorry to hear alot of you also have a cow for a MIL!
its my DD bday tomorrow so im guessing shell pop round - dreading it! I don't think ill be able to hold my tongue.
BIL hasn't spoken to her in over a year now so i thought shed make more of an effort with me & OH! Clearly not!

Your little girl has the same date of birth as my dd xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->