MIL

Reaction score
I know I'm going to come across as an evil B***** but my MIL is driving me crazy. She is so lovely, she has been buying things for my little man since she found out about the pregnancy, has sent an immense amount of baby clothes including lots of hand knit items and is going mad about him, but it just feels so overwhelming! My OH and her werent in touch for a good few years and so I've only known her about 8 months and she phones up for chats all the time and and is constantly giving me "advice" and telling me about whatever she is knitting for "our baby" (her words) or what she has bought that day. I feel like I am going insane! All we talk about is the baby, what pram will be best for him, whether the mattress is good enough, if I will be breastfeeding (which I must do) and how will be best to home cook all the babies food. :hissy: She's now got it into her head that I will be like her and won't go back to work afterwards - apparently it doesnt matter about money, I won't want to leave him. Motherhood is all about sacrifice after all...

Crazy hormones, make me want to scream out loud at her...:hissy::hissy:
Oh and its also good that I am craving the smell of washing up liquid - keeps me doing the dishes...

:hugs: MILs can be a nightmare, especially if this is the first grandchild. Hopefully once the LO arrives and she sees what a good mother you are she'll back off

I think your hormones are taking over a bit hun.
Look at it from her point of view, If she hasnt been there for her son then she probably wants to make sure shes there for her grandson, As she knows what mistakes she made before. It sounds like shes just being caring and whats to make sure your ok. Shame all MIL's arent like that! lol
Xx

Oh dear, it can be a pain can't it. Luckily my mil is lovely and wouldn't dream of interferring but I had loads of problems with one of my best friends a couple of months ago anyone would of thought it was her baby.

I think your mil probably thinks she is helping you and has got caught up in the moment but if it is really bothering you, you HAVE to talk it through with her otherwise it could result in a big bust up (been there got the t shirt lol)

It got to the point with my friend where I thought I was on the edge of a breakdown, she had an opinion on everything and was hounding me, would phone everyday and b on phone for at least an hour. It ended up with us having a massive falling out and things will never be the same again.

Its your choice what pram, mattress etc you get and get what you want not what she wants. My friend was virtually screaming down the phone at me when I all I did was mention a moses basket, said I had to get a crib, we've actually had both bought for us so its not a problem anyway but I was so angry that she was telling me what i can/can't buy for my baby !!

If you don't feel you or hubby can talk to her, then I would try and cut down contact so you aren't having long chats everyday, get your hubby to say your in the bath, gone shopping having a nap etc.

Let us know how you get on xxx

I know how you feel babe, it's so hard, my MIL is the same and has bought me a child's cookbook already :dohh:

Sorry I can't offer any advice as I don't really know how to deal with this myself without causing her offence and I don't want that

Haha, thanks for the comments guys. I know she is only trying to be nice, but its hard when someone you barely know is trying to tell you how to bring up your baby that isnt even here yet! I'm sure it will all get better once the baby is here. I am just glad she doesn't live near us!

aww hun :hug: for you but atlest she cares my oh's parents and family have not said or done F all lol

When my inlaws start to send my blood pressure up, it helps to take two minutes out and remember one day I'll probably be a daft, batty, over protective and fussy old MIL too..:rofl:

:hug:

sometimes you have to say something whether or not it causes offense, I have a feeling I will be with my mother..... my MIL is brlliant, has only offered advice when I have asked!

Krissie, i have pretty much the exact same problem, my MIL is killing me with kindness. Im not used to having a mother figure around because i lost mine at 18, so i have been independent for a long while. Oh mom is so so lovely, she wants to do so much, and im just not used to it! My sister thinks im nuts but it really does start to get a bit tiring when you dont get a seconds chance to think things through for yourself, whether it be about buying something or choosing the right kind of nappies. To be honest i have started ignoring her text messages during the week and only answering her with a single phone call on the weekends, we also said no to having lunch there this past Sunday, because she had us there the Sunday before that. Im just feeling suffocated and it stresses me out a bit, i feel terrible though because she is so lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->