Milk supply question!

Kat26

Reaction score
Wondered if anyone has any advice...

My little boy has been sleeping from 11 til 7-8am since about weeks old. We didnt encourage this, I am feeding on demand and this is the pattern he has settled into. He has about 8 feeds in a day, total breast feeding.

Obviously me and hubby thought this is great as we get to sleep! However today the health visitor told me I should be waking him in the night to make sure my milk doesnt dry up due to not being stimulated for this length of time. My GP and other health visitor have never mentioned this, and just wondered what you guys think!!

He seems to be getting enough now, loads of wet and soiled nappys, and good weight gain. I dont want to spoil his pattern as he seems really happy to sleep that long, but this health visitor has really worried me!!

Thank you! xx

UTTER RUBBISH!!! :ignore:

Let him sleep....Hebe slept exactly the same from just under 3 weeks. I NEVER woke her.....she weighed 19lb 10z yesterday!! She's thriving and your baby is too!!

Oh and your supply will be fine - if he starts to wake in the night, feed him and it will adjust! I think Hebe has woken in the night about 3 time since 3 weeks and I fed her just fine....stupid bloody HVs - they drive EVERYONE MAD!! :hissy:

Thank you thank you thank you!!! xx

You post didnt say how many weeks she was BTW??? :hugs:

He's 8 and a half weeks now and I would definitely say he's thriving! x

Good for you both!!!! If the HV wants you to wake your sleeping baby, tell her she'd better have her sleeping bag ready to kip on your floor coz she'll be getting up in the night with him!!!! :lol:

There's plenty of time for broken nights sleep when he starts teething/nursery/school/having girlfriends/going to uni/abroad.......yarda yarda!!!!!

Seriously though, HV's have little or no BFing training and they come out with some right bollocks sometimes! x

I think it's a counterintuitive idea to wake sleeping babies to eat, unless they're severely underweight. They need their sleep as much as they need to eat.

It sounds as though you're doing really well, if you're breastfeeding continually throughout the day there is no way your BM is going to dry up just because you miss one feed at night. Shame on the HV for giving you misleading information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->