Milk there one minute nit the next...

cooch

Mummy to one gorgeous boy
Reaction score
I had a c section and milk only came I. In day 5 baby has been starving and needed topped up with formula.

I really wanted not to give up, so today he's had one small breast feed and one that lasted for 45 mins where he fell asleep and still drank. Since then he's only had the milk that I've expressed. I've tried feeding again and he mustn't have been that hungry, so I tried expressing and there was very little in one breast.

What to do? He's a hungry baby and the only time he screams is when he really needs to be fed.

Just keep putting him to the breast regularly, that's the only way to build your supply. My DS was a premmie and delivered by cs and he was a sleepy feeder who struggled to put weight on. I just kept offering him the boob every two hours until we both got the hang of it and my supply came in. I was getting no end of pressure to top up with formula which I did in the hospital, but stopped as soon as we got home on the advice of a much more supportive community midwife.

If your LO won't feed from you every couple of hours I'd express to keep your supply up. Don't worry if there doesn't appear to be much milk - I've never had success with pumping or hand expressing but I've a great supply and fast letdown that leaks everywhere once LO starts feeding so it's not an indication of having no milk or not being able to feed. And don't let him get to the point of screaming for food before you offer the breast as that'll only stress you out if he doesn't take it or you have problems getting a good latch. It's possible that giving bottles also isn't helping as milk flows faster through a teat than from a nipple and they don't have to work as hard to get the milk as when BFing.

I'm not an expert by any means but there are BF groups all over the place and BF councillors that could help you get BF established. Can you ask your HV or midwife for details of local support? I went to a few groups when i had my DS and it really helped build my BFing confidence.

I hope that helps. If you can keep going it really does get easier and more enjoyable and that goes for any other children you have too- once you've learned how to BF it's really easy to do it again.

Keep breast feeding. His saliva and sucking stimulate your hormones and breasts to produce what you need. Expressing can interrupt this depending inbhow old he is. He may want to nurse very frequently. Babies are good at getting lots out. You will produce what he needs x

I would second what the other two posters said above - just feed feed feed, I had a C/S with my 1st DD and it delayed my milk coming in by a couple of days, it's common, so its best you just keep putting baby to the breast as much as you can to initiate supply. I also got nowhere with pumping, it's just not the same and doesn't stimulate you as well to produce milk either so you may have problems later with your supply if you rely on a pump too much now. It's fine once your supply is established though. I would also second feeding him before he gets to crying as it can be really hard to settle them and get a good latch when they are in a state. I would knock the formula on the head too - it will make him sleep more and feed less from you, so reducing your supply further and it becomes a downward spiral very fast. You are doing a great job, keep it up mama! It does get so much easier too - once your supply is established you barely have to think about it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->