Milk Tokens

no but because you work you can't claim hardly anything! so even though we will hardly be taking home anything when I am on leave we can't claim help for even milk as we worked before!

Flitty working hard doesn't mean a big wage. OH and I both work but will only be on his really low wage when I leave work for maternity leave.

Why should somebody on income support get it but not us?!

Thanks Flitty, I've been getting a bit fed up of the repeated threads that seem to degenerate into a big bitch about people with nothing getting something. I was wondering if I was the only person who felt this way.

It seems like people feel they are owed some magical amount of money from the state and that they get nothing for their taxes and NI contributions. Except, council services, police and fire services, a guaranteed 18 years of free education then HE at way less money than most countries. Not to mention free healthcare which is particularly beneficial to we pregnant ladies who probably do better out of the system than others. If we earn enough why should we be given money from the government (i.e. the rest of the population) just because we want to have children? I'm a huge advocate of a welfare state and Labour have done loads (particularly for pregnant women and parents) such that the benefits we get in terms of maternity leave and income is unrecognisable in comparison to the pittance only 10 years ago. It sucks that we take such a huge cut in earnings but things are getting better all the time, only in April this year did the maternity payments get extended by 3 months and our leave entitlement extended to a year however long we've been with the employer. There is a big price to having children but since when did we do it for the money?

I don't think because I've worked I should be given all these benefits at all.

I think I'm lucky to be receiving Maternity Allowance etc but it's just annoying that 'some' people decide to live on benefits when they have no reason to be out of work etc

I think I'm lucky to be receiving Maternity Allowance etc but it's just annoying that 'some' people decide to live on benefits when they have no reason to be out of work etc

I know it's annoying but the government does what they can to stop benefit cheats. The whole change to job seeker's allowance where you have to prove you're trying to get work is one part of that process and there's only so much that can be done. The money spent on trying to prevent it would end up greater than that lost through the cheats. And it's hyped up by the media. Bad things are never as common as they would have us believe.

But 'some' isn't all. And many people who receive healthy start vouchers are working! Would you really want to be earning so little that you need an extra handout of £6 per week to feed your baby? If not, why begrudge that amount to those that are in that position?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->