Mirena...what are your experiences?

heyyydayyy

Reaction score
I just got the Mirena IUD put in today and I'm glad to not have to worry about birth control (I've been on the pill before and HATED having to remember to take it)...what are your experiences like? Did you get your period? Did you gain weight? I'm really trying to lose the baby weight (and then some) right now, and I'm hoping the IUD won't jeopardize it. :shrug:

Stalking as i am going to my GP today to get this

Stalking I'm having mine in next week xx

I had one for 2 years. I didn't gain any weight but did have a light period for about 4/5months from having it put in. Also made me very spotty, snappy and completely lost my sex drive. Others people I know have had it with no problems so not all doom and gloom just wasn't for me

bad i am afraid. First time i had it it moved after a month mid sex the pain was agnonising. It was a weekend and i lived in a village. It was like labour pains coming in waves my body just wanted to eject it i guess. I managed to grap hold of plastic string and i pulled it out!

Few years later after a baby my new dr persuaded me to try it again. It never felt comfortable. Could feel it if i had sex quite often. Had it checked yes its in right. Unexplained pains and generally felt crap. They sent me to an std clinic for tests as it cannot be the mirena. All clear thankfully. No sex drive and very spotty. Finally a year after it was put in i insisted it come out. Came out too easy the doctor said it must not have been in right Duh!.

Never again!

I had one in for 5 years before having LO. Had no periods until the last year and then they were really light. Only reason I had it removed was because the 5 years were up and you need to change it but we decided to NTNP and got pregnant within 6 months.

Did not have any weight gain, no change in sex drive, no spots etc.

I am going to have another one put in next week. Hopefully I won't get any spots or weight gain as I still have to loose all my baby weight and my sex drive can't get any lower then it is now!! Hehehe

I had the Mirena for 5 years the first time and it was fine, really. I didn't gain weight or have periods, which was awesome, but I did have a lower sex drive. However, when it came time to remove it, the coil got stuck in my uterus and I had to get an ultrasound and they had to remove it painfully with some long tool.

I decided to try the Mirena for a second round. It stayed in for almost a year before falling out and I got pregnant and miscarried. Since we weren't ready to TTC, I got ANOTHER put in while I was still miscarrying which was a huge mistake. They said it was okay to do, but it wasn't, and clots got stuck in the Mirena in my cervix and it was incredibly painful until they removed it a few weeks later. I then had another miscarriage, and I do sometimes think that using the Mirena long-term may have caused them due to low progesterone. Once I went a while without hormones in my system from birth control I was able to conceive and carry to term.

I personally won't use hormonal birth control again; I'd go for the Copper IUD over the Mirena to avoid the hormones. Having a period, IMO, is better than messing up your body with hormones.

I've had mine in since LO was about 6 months old, at first I had constant light bleeding which lasted nearly 3 months which wasn't much fun but once it settled I didn't have a period for nearly 9 months.
Recently though I've been having some light bleeding and cramps so I'm not sure whether it's moved (I've never been able to feel the strings!) Looking at some of the side effects others have had, I'm wondering whether the way I've been feeling is to do with it-constant tiredness, low mood and absent sex drive.
I'm planning to have it taken out in a couple of months so we will see!

stalking..
I had one put in the beginning of the month.... It was a slightly traumatic experience and the doctor got blood on my sock! LOL for some reason I have an inverted and tilted cervix almost laying on its side... So some long instrument scissor thingy had to be put in to pull my cervix down to a reachable place... Sounds soo gross but it was okay....
So far I have spotted on and off very lightly mostly brown.. with the odd pinky streak.. no biggy...
Have felt a bit achey and crampy....

Have managed to successfully DTD a few times with no issues... :) Can't feel it,, DH had a good old route about also.. he can't feel it... think he would have passed out if he could.... he hates anything remotely ick!

Altho i have reallly horrible achey joints, elbows, knees, ARE horrific I can barely move my left leg to get my sock on it is agony! I did hear that achey joints were a weird side affect.. anyone else had these???? Even my heels feel stretched and achey! And I haven't done anything different in my daily routine.. No hardcore exercise for me!

i had mine taken out after 7 months.
perfect insertion (didnt feel it at all, also found out i got a tilted uterus)

it was in the right place, no infections etc didnt gain weight, i actually lost weight.

But it caused me to have an iron defficency. I would have a period (medium bleed) for two weeks every two weeks! so i would bleed a constant medium flow for two weeks, have a two week break, then bleed for two weeks and so on. for the whole 7 months. i was told it would slowly settle.
the nurse was shocked that i was still in that cycle even after 7 months. she checked it again and prescribed me the pill for three months hoping it would regulate things. next day i had this horrendous pain like someone was ripping me open. that was it, i went straight back and got it removed.
no problems as it came out. been on the pill since and don't think i would ever have the mirena again.

i had mine taken out after 7 months.
perfect insertion (didnt feel it at all, also found out i got a tilted uterus)

it was in the right place, no infections etc didnt gain weight, i actually lost weight.

But it caused me to have an iron defficency. I would have a period (medium bleed) for two weeks every two weeks! so i would bleed a constant medium flow for two weeks, have a two week break, then bleed for two weeks and so on. for the whole 7 months. i was told it would slowly settle.
the nurse was shocked that i was still in that cycle even after 7 months. she checked it again and prescribed me the pill for three months hoping it would regulate things. next day i had this horrendous pain like someone was ripping me open. that was it, i went straight back and got it removed.
no problems as it came out. been on the pill since and don't think i would ever have the mirena again.

That's so weird that it caused you to have an iron deficiency! For me, it caused the opposite. I didn't have periods for so long and my iron was extremely high (especially for being vegan) that my doctor was worried about hemochromatosis. That being said, I definitely would not get the mirena again either.

I hate the mirena. Never again will I have it!!

It's been in two and a half years, had pain and bleeding, awful cramps, 28+lbs weight gain, no sex drive, depression, infections, bloating etc etc. I went to get it out in April 2012 and they couldn't remove it. I've had scans and follow up appointments at the hospital and the drs yet it's now February 2013 and STILL in!!! I'm in pain, bleeding badly and quite frankly I hate it.

I have one more appointment and I'm praying it will come out this time. I DO NOT recommend it.

I had it put in in September, until last month I had super long and heavy periods, was always tired, libido completely gone since day one of having it and despite exercising, walking and eating just like before I have gained 8lbs over the past month!! I am angry and snappy all the time and have headaches too, which i never had before. i never put weight on around my waist and tummy, now I look 5 months pregnant but it is all wobbly and soft. gross! am getting it removed next week.

Glad I gave it a go but NO WAY I am keeping it in.

I had my mirena inserted when DD was 8 weeks and it was painful for a couple hours, I bled lightly for a few weeks. The only complaint that I have is lately I have been having issues with very low milk supply and I am not sure if its due to the mirena but other than that I am happy with it.

I'm very nervous after reading these post about getting it. I'm suppose to go on the 13th but really second guessing it now.
Will be stalking for other reviews!!!

I'm getting it on Monday. I'm not really worried just don't want to put weight on as have been working hard to loose all baby weight you just have to think it is different for everyone my mam has had it since having me 23 year ago and never had any problems. For every 1 that had problems there will probly be 100 that don't. I'm just guessing figures by the way. Cx

I had mine put in about a month ago, it wasn't really painful and only ad a small bit if cramping, I've had a small bit of bleeding but not much and I've not gained weight from it, I've managed to continue losing weight (I'm exercising/dieting) so far all good :thumbup: xx

IMO, the nice thing about this form of BC is that it's easily reversable. If you gain weight or have other nasty side effects such as worse periods, acne, etc you can always get it removed. If you try it and hate, you can get it taken out quickly and it doesn't take long at all for your body to bounce back (unlike things like the depo shot or the pill). On the other hand, if you get it and love and/or have positive side effects (some women actually lose weight on it, clear their acne, have lighter periods that are less painful), then that is awesome and im sure very welcome. Then you can keep it in. So, trial and error. Hate it, get it out. Love it, keep it in. The only way you can know how your body will react is by trying it. It's good to read other ppls experience (thats why im reading this thread!) and i want to know the ins and outs but i realized after a while the only way i'll know if its a good fit or not, is if i get it.

Stalking this still. I have mine schedule to be put in on my bday march 27th.

I got the mirena when lo was six weeks. It hurt a little getting it put in but was fine after. I had light bleeding for about six weeks but wasn't horrible. I have no problems with it at all. I'm not gaining weight, don't have problems with my skin. Everything is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->