Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

absie1203

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I was 6 weeks and 5 days with my first baby when I went into my doctor's office. I just took a home pregnancy test and asked me doctor to confirm that I was pregnant via a blood test. When I told her my symptoms she just sent me for a dating ultrasound, skipping the blood test and not even checking my hcg levels. When I went for the ultrasound they could only see a yolk sac and a gestational sac - no baby and no heartbeat. My doctor proceeded to tell me that I was likely miscarrying. Again, without checking my hcg levels which I found out later, were soaring high!

2 weeks later (when I was almost 9 weeks along) I went back for another ultrasound, saw the baby and it had a heartbeat of 160 bpm. I just wanted to share this story with others who may have had early ultrasounds and were not given alot of hope. It scared me silly for two weeks straight that I had lost this baby...my doctor was extremely insensitive and jumped to conclusions way too quickly. I will not be seeing her again. My recommendation is to not get an ultrasound until 10 weeks. It would have saved me alot of heartache and stress...

All the best to everyone for healthy and happy pregnancies.

Great post! Same happened to me. Exactly why I'm not keen on having a scan before 8 weeks this pregnancy.

Same thing happened to me.
They told me it's either an ectopic or miscarriage but they would scan me to be sure two weeks later coz I hadn't bled, two weeks later baby and heartbeat was seen and getting my next scan tomorrow :)

This EXACT thing has just happened to me.

Booked a private ultrasound with an obstetrician that I love who helped me through difficulties in my first pregnancy and she said exactly the same, had the worst week in my entire life wondering whether there was even a baby there, feeling cheeky that i even considered myself to be pregnant when i had no confirmation.

Went back last night and baby had arrived and a heartbeat there too. So pleased. She dated me at six weeks yesterday so fingers crossed for another good six weeks to get me closer to that safe zone!

Wow, that seems quite negligent on your doctors behalf. I can't believe she would send you for a dating scan without checking anything else. I don't know what it's like in other countries but where I live they won't even see you until 12 weeks (unless you are having issues or have had fertility problems in the past).

I agree with the pp who mentioned not having a scan until after 8 weeks. I've seen so many posts over the years on this site of women who are very worried after not seeing anything during their scan at an early gestation. Could save a lot of worry!

Did you ever ask the doc why she never gave you a HCG test? This just sounds like irresponsible practice. But I am so glad you have written to this post. Put me at east at least cuz I'm getting my first scan at 7 weeks. (I'm only 5 weeks today).

I had a Doppler ultrasound at 6.3 weeks...saw baby, heartbeat, yolk sack and gestational sack. Anything before 6 weeks all you will see is a yolk sack.

That's horrible! I'm so sorry that you went through that experience :c. Miscarriages are awful, and for someone to tell you that you could possibly be losing your baby and not even taking your Beta's to make sure, that's even worse! I'm glad everything is going fine, though, and wish you a happy and healthy 9 months c:.

Same here but I went to a private early reassurance scan was told I was having an ectopic and already had internal bleeding!

Rushed to a&e who couldn't scan me as was Saturday but told me to have methotrexate shot and go to surgery to remove tube. Even though I had no pain no blood nothing.

I discharged myself as I just knew things were ok, went back on the Monday and saw an empty sac. Went back the next day and the start of a baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->