mixed school classes?

Gingerspice

Reaction score
the school we're thinking about sending LO to has across ages in their class rooms.

there is normally about 15 in each class. the first class is a mix of prescchool and reception in first class (sometime year 1 might join in too at times). it is then year 1/2 in next class. year 3/4 in next class and year 5/6 in next class.

does anyone elses LO go to a school where its across school year classes? Is it a problem?

I'm pretty sure when i was at school i was in mixed age group classes i this way, but haven't heard of many shcool that do this any more?

quite a few schools do this, how effective it is depends onthe individual school and the teacher too. Have you looked at the website, SATs results and OFSTED reports? Do you know anyone whose child goes there who you can talk to?

My son's school does this. I thought it was quite strange when I found out. He just started this school in september as we changed his school after moving house. Both his past school and his new school have the same headmaster, so I thought they would be very similar and was shocked when I found out year 3/4 are in the same classroom as they werent in the last school. xxx

My LO is too small for school just yet, but, as a child who went to a small country primary school with up to three classes in one room, I can honestly say it didn't have a negative effect on the education I received. At the risk of sounding like a big-headed own-trumpet-blower :)haha:) I was in most of the top classes when I moved on to secondary education and beyond so the double-classrooms didn't hold me back any.
As has been said though, it will depend on the teacher's ability to split time equally, and keep one class quietly working on their tasks while s/he teaches/fields questions from the other class.

most schools do it now mainly because of the amount of children they have. too many children for one class but not enough for two so they cross them over, it can be very effective for the children, the younger children can learn a little bit extra and the older children learn abit more responsibility ect. in my experience reception and yr 1 work very well together.

thanks. when i was in school i had it, but from what I was hearing fro other parents they thought it wasn't used so much now. Its only a small school so they only have about 15 in each class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->