mobile apps scam warning

smokey

Mummy to a monkey
Reaction score
Just want to warn people about a scam I have just been stung for if you let your kids play with apps on your phone or touch pad.

Yesterday I recieved a text message (while I was at work) from a kko mobile saying I had subscribed to a service to download ringtones and games for £4.50 a week to unsubscribe text stop to this number.
At first I thought it was one of those scams where they trick you into thinking you have then charge you a bomb for texting back so I didnt do anything untill I checked my 3 account phone bill and the f**kers had charged me £4.50
I have no idea what this subscription is and cerftainly didnt want it or subscribe to it, like I say I was at work at the time so no idea what it was.
I looked up this company and found thousands of people complaining about the same thing and most never even knowing about it till after a few months of charging so I paniced and texted stop back getting charged a further £1.50

Anyway today I was looking through the history on my touch pad for another site and came across a few pages from this kko mobile.
Now my touch pad is not conected with my phone account in anyway I even used different email accounts on it to prevent apps being bought from the app store (the boy plays with it more then I do)
Looking into it further it was a banner on one of his games that hes probably pressed by accident and because the pad was using the internet through my phone its used my phone ip (making it think the pad was a phone) to charge me through my phone provider.

I have looked further into the company and there are literaly thousands of people complaining that even though they knew nothing about it and tried to get it stoped the company has just responded with tough.
Its completly illegal what they have done and their own T&C state the subscriber has to be over 18 and have bill payers permision (its not even a dam phone) and that the contract is taking out with you knowingly and willingly, now my son is 2, I neither knowingly or willingly allowed this.

They are putting pop up adds and banners on childrens app games knowing that they will accidently get pressed.

Im going to send them a email today demanding a refund and that it gets cancled as they have broken their own T&C for a start and the device is not a phone then I will contact my provider and say im not happy for that part of my bill to be paid as it was illegaly charged to me when the device wasnt even my phone (usinging my mobile ip like that is illegal) and without my permision they should not pay a company that is scaming me.
There is also another company (a type of ofcom) that is looking into this because ofcom dont monitor this company.

Im just so fuming over this.

This is the email I have sent to the company, does it make sense?

Yesterday at 5pm I recieved a text message stating I had subcribed to your services and will be charged (number I was text on was ***********)
I have no knowledge of what this service is or wish to subscribe to it as I was at work at the time the phone wasnt even being used so no way could I have possibly subscribe to something.
Having looked through the history on my sons touch pad I found links to your website from a pop up add on one of his games where it possibly has been accidently pressed.
My son is 2 years old and I can assure you he has no use for downloading ringtones on a device that is not even a phone.
The device is not linked in any way with the account of my phone and is set up in a way to prevent buying apps so no charge should have been made to my service provider, the only link it has with my phone is it was using the wifi from my phone so you have used the mobile IP from my phone to charge me.
Again it was not accessed through my phone but from a device connected to the phones internet by wi fi.

As per your terms and conditions
The following terms and conditions (thereafter "Terms and Conditions") are the terms of a legal agreement between You (hereinafter referred as "You", i.e. the customer Publisher makes the agreement with and includes any person who Publisher will reasonably believes is acting with your authority or knowledge),

You must be over 18 (eighteen) and have permission from the bill payer to use this Service.

This charge was neither made with my knowledge or authority (or even from my phone but from a device merely using the internet connection) and from a child 16 years under your legal conditions.
Further more to put these pop up adds on a childs game where they can be accidently pressed is discusting.

This service was not warrented from my phone or by me so I would appreciate a full refund to my service provider and no further charges to be made.
If I recieve anymore charges I will take further action upon the advice of phonepayplus which I have contacted in regards to this along with many thousands of other people that seemed to have been charged without knowledge.

Regards

What a sneaky thing for them to do!!! The e-mail sounds fine to me. What they have done is out of order, I hope it all gets sorted soon. xxx

Email sounds good. Well done for quoting their own Terms and Conditions. I hope you get a refund!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->