MOMS DUE 1st week of OCTOBER have you had a SCAN yet.. Seen Fetal Pole or heartbeat?

Ethanandella

Reaction score
I am 6+ weeks based on LMP ( Dec 24 2014)
I had a Scan ( INTERNAL) more accurate Feb 9...
No Heartbeat No pole.....
HCG 10,000
normal positioned uterus

just wondering if Anyone else due same time has seen more than just the SAC yet...?

I came across this information

Fetal Heart Beat
Using endovaginal scanning, fetal cardiac activity is often seen even before a fetal cell mass can be identified. The fetal cardiac muscle begins its' rhythmic contractions, and that rhythmic motion can be seen along the edge of the yolk sac. Initially, the fetal cardiac motion has a slower rate (60-90 BPM), but cardiac rate increases as the fetus develops further. Thus, for these early pregnancies, the actual cardiac rate is less important that its presence or absence.

Sometimes, with normal pregnancies, the fetal heartbeat is not visible until a fetal pole of up to 4 mm in length is seen. Failure to identify fetal cardiac activity in a fetus whose overall length is greater than 4 mm is an ominous sign.

It can sometimes be difficult identifying a fetal heartbeat from the background movement and maternal pulsations. You may find it useful in these cases to scan with one hand while taking the maternal pulse with the other. This makes it easier to identify sonographic movements that are dyssynchronous with the maternal pulse.

Fetal Pole
A mass of fetal cells, separate from the yolk sac, first becomes apparent on transvaginal ultrasound just after the 6th week of gestation. This mass of cells is known as the fetal pole. It is the fetus in its somite stage. Usually you can identify rhythmic fetal cardiac movement within the fetal pole, although it may need to grow several mm before this is apparent.

The fetal pole grows at a rate of about 1 mm a day, starting at the 6th week of gestational age. Thus, a simple way to "date" an early pregnancy is to add the length of the fetus (in mm) to 6 weeks. Using this method, a fetal pole measuring 5 mm would have a gestational age of 6 weeks and 5 days.

With my 2nd pregnancy there was a heartbeat around 6 1/2 weeks. I'm foggy now what day but I believe 6 weeks 4-5 days. If you are just now 6 weeks, I would def give your body the benefit of being too early and allow a few more days. When my doc saw our baby beating at that time, I was told it had probably began beating just that day and we were lucky enough to have gotten to see it. Not to mention, your docs ultrasound machine may not be as advanced as some, it truly makes a difference how "fancy" the unit it too!

I know it's hard Hun but I wouldn't read too much into things at such an early stage. There's so many factors to take into consideration. As well as the fact each baby is different and will develop slightly differently, not all babies go by text book rules. I'd defo wait till the next scan before you panic yourself too much. A week can make so much difference in what you see.

Early scans are notorious for showing only sac regardless of hcg.

Dating by lmp is only a baseline. You could have ovulated a littler later in your cycle than the textbook 14 days. The egg could have implanted later than what's textbook. Sometimes the baby is just a little slower at getting started. These things alone will change what you see on an ultrasound at 6 weeks.

That's why most doctor's wait until about 8 weeks before they'll do a scan (unless there are issues - but usually still result in being too early) because if any of the above have happened, it can drastically change what you see, even if the dates are off by a few days. I was 6+1 and the sac measured 5+5. Just those few days was enough to make a difference even though my hcg was over 18,000.

The best that you can do is wait a week or 2 and have another scan. Having more betas isn't going to say anything at this point unless they show they're going down. So if they continue to go up, waiting for another scan is the only thing that will tell you either way.

Look up Misdiagnosed Miscarriage. Hopefully it'll give you some peace with your situation. I know it's hard and scary as hell to get through this, but it doesn't mean this pregnancy is doomed. Honestly, it's best to stay away from google because you're going to find 50% horror stories and 50% success stories, or 75% and 25% (depends on where you look). There's no telling at this point. Google actually made me worry more because it lead me to believe my pregnancy wasn't normal when all I needed was to give LO a little more time to catch up.

What someone else saw at the same gestation means absolutely nothing. Every pregnancy is so different that you can't base your pregnancy off what someone saw at their scan at the same date.

People that see everything at 6 weeks (or even earlier) have successful pregnancies, and some don't. People that only see a sac go on to have a healthy pregnancy, and some don't. It's just way too early to tell either way. Yes, it can go either way, but ideally a blighted ovum should not be officially diagnosed until a minimum of 9 weeks or until the gestational sac has reached 25mm.

Have the set up another scan date?

I would honestly recommend the limbo thread if you're feeling uncertain about where this is going. The ladies in there are so lovely, and I feel like I couldn't have gotten through mine without them. But definitely try to stay way from Dr. Google. It really can cause more alarm.

:hugs:

All babies are different

I had a scan at the EPAU last monday I thought I was 6 weeks 1 day but we saw baby and heartbeat and 6mm he measured 6 weeks 2 days... so I am due oct 3rd

It all depends when baby implanted etc.. dont worry.. it should catch up x

I know it's hard Hun but I wouldn't read too much into things at such an early stage. There's so many factors to take into consideration. As well as the fact each baby is different and will develop slightly differently, not all babies go by text book rules. I'd defo wait till the next scan before you panic yourself too much. A week can make so much difference in what you see.

I am going for another blood work apt and hopefully a scan

When is your scan? Praying for you to have positive answers lady!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->