• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

mono di twins

Mono does mean one and di means 2. With mono-di twins it's 1 placenta with 2 sacs. I'm an L&D nurse(also work in the special care nursery if they're short staffed) and we ALWAYS evaluate the placenta after birth. We're mainly looking for number of arteries, and other abnormalities. Keep in mind most deliveries are singletons, so unless there is a reason they don't get their placentas and umbilical cords evaluated that closely till after birth. The placenta can tell us if there are potential problems with the infant(s) to watch/test for. It's an amazing organ! It can be difficult to evaluate the placenta in ultrasound during many pregnancies, even the babies. I had 3 ultrasounds with our youngest because my belly stopped growing and they measured him at over 8 lbs. He was born weighing 5 lbs 14 oz. DH and I take everything with a grain of salt now. It really depends on how the baby(ies) is positioned, position of the placenta(s), the mothers anatomy, etc. I have a tilted uterus, which is now held in place my adhesions from endometriosis, so it doesn't tend to resolve during pregnancy. This can make it a bit more difficult to get a good assessment and measurements of the baby(ies) as they get larger. The skill of the tech makes a huge impact as well. We go to a private sonographer because we know she's much better than most. She sends the results to my OB. All babies get a Ballard Assessment(after the Apgar), which tells us what their gestational age truly is, physical maturity, neuromuscular maturity, etc. Dates can be +/- a couple weeks. This lets us know if they are truly low birthweight, etc. which then tells us what other(if any) evaluation/monitoring they need. Multiples generally get a more thorough assessment, but not always.

It's an exciting time and so much different than singleton pregnancies. I almost feel like I'm pregnant for the first time again.

If the identical twins share a sac with no dividing membrane, i think it's called mono/mono twins, they are the highest highest risk so i guess mono/di twins are lower risk than them but not as low as identical twins who have a sac and placenta each if that makes sense. :flower:

Thanks for your reply - ya, but aren't identical twins who share a placenta regardless of sharing a sac or not, equally at risk of TTTS?

Yes any twins that share a placenta are at risk of TTTS BUT i think mono/mono twins also have a risk of their cords tangling up etc as they are in the same sac & fluids. Not saying all mono/mono twins will have a problem but just that they are the highest risk twin pregnancy as far as i am aware :flower:

they thought mine were mo mo (mono mono) identicals as there was no visible membrane. i was worried sick as this is higher risk due to the cords. they have nothin to seperate them from tying each other up or compressing each others cord. at 12wks they found the membrane ttts is as much a risk in both mo/di and mo/mo as its to do with the placenta but the 'risks'in general reduce slightly due to their bein a membrane to stop the cord issues. i never had any issues with ttts but it did frighten me. mine were only 5oz different at birth. the docs have to give u worst case scenarios to prepare u. i made the stupid mistake of googling it. scared myself silly. my girls were born at 36+2 needing no help at all and had an apgar score of 9 at birth and five mins later so got to come straight to the ward with me then home two days later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->