Montelukast and a rant...

toothfairyx

Reaction score
I've blown my top at the doctors today over a prescription for this stuff and them just being b!*&dy unhelpful....
Jamie's consultant decided a while back that Jamie's cough was indicative that he had had bronchiolitis. So he has now had the last RSV jab of the season, but has been coughing on and off and sounding really rattly on his chest for months. His consultant was quite concerned about this at his check up a month ago and as he was wheezing and had some mild recession wanted him on montelukast granules for the forseeable future which we got from the hospital pharmacy. The consultant was concerned enough about his chest to call me at home a week later to see if he had improved at all or he wanted to see him again.
What a headache trying to get this stuff on a repeat prescription. Apparently there is manufacturing problem so there is no/little stock I was told on Monday, plus they hadn't scanned in the hospital letter yet so knew nothing about this being given to Jamie. No problem I said - I'll get the hopsital to fax over the letter (which they did straight away) and I know other kids are on this at the nursery and they just have the tablets and they get crushed up. Just do me a script for that instead. Went in today to collect it and the GP had declined to do this because she was worried that the tablets don't crush well and he could choke on them. Even though she hadn't tried to crush one up to see.
Anyway, I now have the tablets after kicking up one holy stink about it at the reception desk and basically saying that if this medication is stopped and he ends up back in hospital with clogged up lungs I would have no problem in taking things down a legal route. God I hate it when I have to behave like that. So another GP at the surgery has given me a second opinion, written the prescription with a caveat that I must crush them up really well and guess what - the tablets crush down to the finest powder you've ever seen at the slightest pressure.

So if anyone else is having this hoo-haa - ask for the tablets and crush them down.

Hi My daughter started on these tabs for her asthma about a week ago (she is 20 months) she didnt really work with the granules and she doesnt look to be working with the tabs either unfortunately (ie odd behaviour, night terrors etc).
Did you know that the tabs are soluble??? if you put them in a bowl with about 3ml of water/juice you can melt them down and give them via syringe. the shortage of this medicine is getting so bad where we are that even the hospital is having trouble getting it so i know where you are coming from :wacko:.

Hope this helped

Kate

We've been crushing them and putting them in his morning weetabix. He hasn't had any issues with night terrors but I did hear one of the other children at his nursery did if he had the tablets in the afternoon so he had to have them first thing in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->