More bad news? :( Blood work came back

LunarSpoon

Cautiously Expecting #2
Reaction score
Just got a call back from my OBs office regarding yesterday's bloodwork. I apparently have signs of hyperthyroidism and they need to follow up... one value (the stimulating hormone,) was <0.01, and typically they look for a value of around 2-2.5. The second value was 1.71, when the normal range is 0.6-0.7.

I had my first scan yesterday and thought I was around 6-7 weeks pregnant but didn't know for sure when my last period was, and we were only able to see the gestational sac and maybe the start of a fetal pole. Doctor estimated I was maybe 5w5d. I go back in two weeks. That has me freaked out enough considering it may become a mmc, and now the issue of my thyroid... ugh.

Does anyone know the implications of hyperthyroidism and pregnancy? I have a perfectly healthy almost-8-month-old baby boy that I am still breastfeeding. I've had a hard time gaining/maintaining weight since giving birth, but I had just attributed that to the nursing.

Help!

I just got diagnosed with hyperthyroidism as well and am 5w5d.

I'm on medication called PTU (dunno its full name) they say its not ideal to be on it but its worse for baby if I dont treat the hyperthyroidism at all.

There is a level that they say is ok to have while pregnant but the risk to baby is lower then if you leave it untreated!

good luck I know how nerve racking it can be!! :thumbup:

Oh what a horrible lot to cope with, I can't help with the thyroid issue. As for the dates not matching up, they scanned me with my last Ds and put my dates back a week and 4 days, then they amended it back at my next scan xxx try not to panic, sending my love.

im not sure exactly what the problem with my thyroid is but I take levothyroxine (synthroid) I was on it for about a month before I got pregnant. & im still on the medication doctor said if I stopped taking it that it could cause problems.. had 2 scans baby looks perfect! don't worry!

I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks due to untreated hypothyroidism. They found out at my first appt which was when I was already 8 weeks but it had already caused problems with the baby. If u start the medicine, u hopefully will be fine. Best wishes for u and your baby.

Best wishes for you and the baby, hope all goes well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->