More 'practical' natural birth resources

whistle

Reaction score
I've started researching around about how I can make this next labour go as smoothly as possible - my last delivery was a caesarean under general anaesthetic, so although a caesarean while awake would be a distinct improvement on last time, I'd really like to avoid as many interventions as possible.

I've started listening to the natal hypnotherapy CDs which I'm really enjoying, and I feel like they have me covered for the relaxation/mental preparation side of things.

I've been picking up a few books at the library on natural birthing, but I've begun to get a bit annoyed by how many of them have a 'spiritual' side to them, and are quite skimpy on the cold, hard facts. Don't get me wrong, I myself have spiritual beliefs that would irritate an atheist with the best of them, but when it comes to birthing books I just want someone to tell me what to expect in labour (different stages etc) and some basic information about how best to avoid drugs/interventions etc (e.g. positions to try, pros and cons of different interventions, info on vbacs)

I know that sounds quite basic, but there was absolutely nothing normal about my last pregnancy and birth, so I don't even have a clue what happens when a woman goes into labour. I'd love to look at some books or websites that have the nuts and bolts info, from the perspective of empowering women for a natural birth. But ones that I won't want to throw at the wall halfway through.

Any suggestions?

I'm using Natal Hypnotherapy also. I've read several books that I've found helpful. These are Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin, Effective Birth Preparation by Maggie Howell (goes along with Natal Hypnotherapy), and Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn by Penny Simkin. Ina May's philosophy is very similar to Maggie Howell's.

I agree, I also read the books above and they were really helpful and empowering. I also used natal hypnotherapy and highly recommend it. Also, would you consider taking NCT classes? Basically what you say you are looking for is exactly what we covered in our classes. I really enjoyed NCT and even though I knew a lot of that stuff already it was great to have a review and get to discuss it with other couples.

I have found the same thing, you have to search through a lot of 'spiritual' stuff for every practical page in most natural birthing books. It's not that I don't have a spiritual side, but I feel like I can work that out on my own, it's labour and birth I'm new to. I'm not even interested natal hypnotherapy (I know it's great for some, it's just not my thing). I find factual information about the process of birth really interesting as well as helpful straightforward information about birthing positions etc.

Effective Birth Preparation by Maggie Howell - it's the book that accompanies the Natal Hypnotherapy course. It doesn't have any "spritual-ness" in it, and it has lots of suggestions of practical things you can do. I think that would be a good suggestion for you, especially as you're finding the cds useful.

You can also check out "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". It has a good section on labour and birth. It's from the La Leche League and they believe that a natural birth gives you the best chance at a good breastfeeding relationship. So, good info!!

^^^Ah yes, I have that too. Just didn't pop into my head when I thought about labor and birth books. Awesome resource.

Thankyou all. Yes, if we get far enough along this time we'd like to do NCT.

BunnyN - that's exactly it, I already know I feel birth is special and beautiful, some books just seem to be trying to convince me of it unnecessarily.

Ooh, forgot I was going to read Womanly Art... also. Thankyou for the thoughtful suggestions everyone, I have them all on my amazon basket or ordered from the library!

Not a book or a website, but do they offer Bradley method classes where you live? Or Brio Birth? Both of those would comprehensively give you what you are looking for. And you can totally do that in conjunction with hypnotherapy. Its also excellent for your partner (or whomever you decide to be at the birth). BC they learn practical techniques to help you cope and to remind you of the information if and when the question of an intervention arises.

Thankyou Guppy, I will investigate and see what's available in my area.

Haha, I definitely know what you mean by many of the natural birthing books seeming overly "spiritual." When I first went to the library to find books on natural birthing, I felt like all the practical books must have been checked out, because all that was there were these slightly "hippy-ish" books with long-winded descriptions of the spiritual power of women and birthing. I can find my own spiritual take on birthing fine, just give me the practical techniques to get through it!

I also found the Bradley method books helpful. The two I got were Husband-Coached Childbirth by Robert Bradley and Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon. They both contain practical relaxation and physical exercises, and gave me the confidence to feel like I can definitely do it (this is my first pregnancy). I would say the only downside to these books is that they're both a little bit dated, and recall the days when doctors routinely gave episiotomies, no questions asked, and hospitals required you to be shaved and given an enema at admission - stuff like that. I don't think the current hospital situation as anywhere near as drastic as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->