Mother hates the baby girl name I picked out!

twiggy327

Reaction score
Im not sure what Im having yet. We go this Saturday (03/23) for the utlrasound. I love the name Olive for a girl. My mother hates it. She is always telling me how ugly it is. She has been asking her friends, coworkers, and family if they like it and apparantly its a unanimous NO with scrunched up lemon faces at the thought of marring a baby with the name Olive. I just dont see it! Please save the "its your baby name it what you want" because i ultimately will but im just curious if it really is a name hated by everyone but me....the finalists are:

Girl:
Olive
Jillian
Levi
Sidney

Boy:
Jakob
Levi
Gunner (my mother loves this name and i think it sounds like a dogs name "Gunner to the car!")

Let me know what you think of the name Olive and if you would prefer any of the other names chosen! thanks,

Well I am not convinced about the name Olive, I'll be honest. I think it reminds me of old ladies and that's why, but I can't be sure. It seems like an old-fashioned name - lots of old-fashioned names are making a comeback though. I don't think it's ugly at all, it just seems a little bit 'old' to me. But that's simply my personal opinion :flower:

Out of your other names for a girl, I LOVE Sidney. I just think its a great name for a girl! And not heard very often.

The whole 'name your baby what you want' thing - I understand what you mean, we haven't told anyone our name except my mum because I always want her opinion and luckily she loves our choice. I know I'd feel more uncertain about the name if she didn't like it so I totally get where you're coming from :flower:

Thank you for being honest and Sidney is my second choice altho im not sure how i would spell it. My 5 year old DDs name is spelled Jordyn and I go back and forth whether i should have used an I instead but too late now shes writing it lol thanks again

Olive reminds me of 'Easy A' the movie, Emma Stone played the main character (Olive)

other than that, I do like it, I just prefer it as a middle name.

Love the name olive! Think its cute! I wouldn't worry it's your child and your decision! Good luck x

Sorry that I have to be that person, but I kindof agree with your mom...I honestly don't think "Olive" suits a name for a beautiful girl, but that's just my opinion...I'm also not really a fan of Olivia, so maybe I am just weird lol

I actually really like the idea of naming your girl Levi, as I usually associate it with a boy's name, but think it would be adorable as a girl's!
I LOVE the name Jakob, spelled like that too (makes more sense when nn Jake)
Gunner is definitely a dog's name in my opinion...I actually dogsit for a dog named Gunner, lol...

i like gunner lol

olive makes me think of popeyes girlfriend

i like the name Jake (but im bias) but i dont like Jakob

Sydney and Levi arnt bad but wouldn't be my choice

I don't like olive (sorry!!) love Sydney and Levi for a girl.... Gunner sounds like a nickname you would be given in prison :/ good luck :) x

I love Olive...a classic name that is making a big comeback here. I will admit, however that most people my age and older (I'm 40) associate it first off with old ladies or Olive Oyl from the Popeye cartoons. But you mom will grow to Associate it with your daughter instead if you have a girl and name here Olive.

I LOVE Olive!! I think your mum is being mean by trying to peer pressure you. What I would do is say well we were thinking of naming her "Olive" or.... and then list 5 names that are terrible say like Fanny, Gertie, Virginia, Gene, Bev (sorry to anyone that likes these names) and then she will see how beautiful the name Olive is!

I love Olive, it was on my list but I had a boy. The reaction from other people would make me more determined to use the name. I would go as far to tell them, well actually your name is hideous just for some shock value!

I think Olive is a lovely name and if you love it then that's all that really matters. I was pressured into naming my girl Brooke and tbh I regret not using the name I really wanted :shrug:

I love reading replies from everyone! they are so different and histerical LOL Thanks to all for the suggestions and I think I have it narrowed to Jakob Larry (after my grandfather) for a boy and either Sidney or Levi for a girl. Middle name either Olive (LOL), June (after a grandmother but eww i dont like it) and Claire (My fav). Thanks again

I love Olive. It's my cats name, but if my cat didn't have that name, I'd be considering it as one of my girl names. Just love it.

I like Sidney...my nieces name. I don't like Levi for a girl bc I've only ever known boys with that name and it just sounds too boyish to me.

I like Jakob, always have loved that name.

I've had so many family members poo poo on my name choices I'm not telling them anymore. When they ask, I tell them they'll know when she's born LOL And whatever you do name the baby, they always tend to grow into that name. My nephews name is Kins (a family name) and we all thought that was weird at first, but I can't imagine him with any other name now.

Ok, seeing as you asked for honesty:

I LOVE Olive! I think it's very pretty and quite girly without being cutesy.
Sidney and Levi (for a girl) aren't really my cup of tea.

I really really dislike Gunner. In my eyes, it's not a name, it's a military job description and it comes across as very aggressive and testosterone laden and not very sophisticated. Just my personal opinion of course and no offence meant to anyone who likes the name.

Jakob is a great name I think! Strong and classic but also cute on a little boy! I also really like Levi for a boy.

I LOVE Olive! It's Olivia without the two extra syllables! Gunner is an odd name for a person. How does your mom dislike Olive and love Gunner? That's funny you mentioned it reminds you of a dog's name- My friend's dog is named Gunner. Somewhat reminds me of "Gunther" from that Disney movie about a paperboy, but it always reminds me of that sweet dog, Gunner. Haha.

Definitely love Jillian, Jakob, and Levi as well. My friend's son is Levi James and I think that name is a dream!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->