Moving abroad for a year with kids-would you?

Yo_Yo

Reaction score
If you had the opportunity to live abroad for a year with your family, would you take it?

Totally jumping 10 steps ahead here, but my hubby's company has offices in some nice parts of the world, and sometimes people get to transfer for a year to help other parts of the company.

It would be America or Australia so no language barrier.

Would you consider doing something like that? Would love to hear what others think!

Yeah! I wouldn't if they were at school (well I might but it would take a lot more thought) but otherwise I would. It could be a really fun experience for all of you, and if you don't like it it would only be a year and it would go quickly.

Yes, that's the only thing that puts me off-dd1 is at school!

But I'd probably do it for the weather alone lol!

Yup! My parents did most my life, and some of my best memories. I'm american, but lived in Sweden, Denmark and Germany before I was 8. New languages, new schools. Kids are very adaptive.

Yup! My parents did most my life, and some of my best memories. I'm american, but lived in Sweden, Denmark and Germany before I was 8. New languages, new schools. Kids are very adaptive.

That sounds a fun childhood full of experience! How cool!

I just moved about 8 months ago from London, UK to Dallas, Texas. The kids were 2.5 years old at the time. It took a lot of planning and organizing, but not as stressful as I thought it would be, mainly because I left plenty of time to organize everything and it's really been the best thing we've done. I'll never stop missing my family and friends but the life here is just better all around; more to do, more money to be made, better weather, safer neighborhoods, cheaper living, friendlier happier communities etc etc... London is my home first and foremost however I can't ever see myself living back there again. It was a great decision for us :)

We are thinking about doing it but on a permanent basis. I'm originally from the US (Chicago) and while this has been my home for 18 years and haven't lived in the US since I was 8 (lived in Quebec with my mom and maternal grandparents for 8 years)- I do miss it. My dad lives there with my stepmom, plus my sister and youngest brother so most of my family is there which makes me want to do it even more. Plus I feel their would be better opportunities for us as a family and for the children in the future.

We could both get a transfer through work no problem- but we are a) afraid of the slightly unfamiliar and b) dreading the earache we would get off my in laws for wanting to move closer to my family and not my husbands and c) we do enjoy it being "just us" most of the time and moving closer to family might mean sacrificing that a bit.

Yes 100%! We moved to Italy for almost a year whilst I was studying and it was amazing, best thing i've ever done! I'd definitely do it again! x

Personally I wouldn't. I would miss the support of my family too much. But each to his own! I imagine it would be an amazing experience.

If I had no ties then yes but as it is id miss my friends and family and my kids would be heartbroken to leave certain people behind. They're used to seeing my mum multiple times a week so it would be cruel to take that away.

Plus my oh moved to holland with his parents for nearly a year before they moved back as they just couldn't adjust. I imagine language played a big part though.

Yes I would, without a doubt. Friend of mine recently did this when her OH got offered a job abroad, she has two kids, they loved it. It was a fantastic opportunity for all of them and they're considering staying out there if they can.

If they were young and not in middle school or high school, then yes!

Yes! It would be an amazing experience for the whole family.

No, I have the opportunity to live abroad with husbands work, pretty much anywhere we wanted but I couldn't do it. I spent ten yrs just a six hrs drive away And I found this too hard being away from my family and friends x

Yeah definitely, we move around for DH's work only in the UK though, I'd love a Cyprus posting but isn't likely with his trade. I'd love to move away temporarily, especially for a year because I do get home sick and know I would want to come back! I would want to be settled by the time DS is in high school though, which is what we are planning even with UK moves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->