moving away from breastfeeding?

cartwheelroll

Reaction score
OK, so I'm seriously considering moving away from breastfeeding n wanted some opinions.

My LO is 3 months n is currently getting 1 bottle of formula a day from dad so I can have some extra sleep.

I'm thinking of moving away for a few reasons; bubs is so reliant on comfort sucking its prohibiting what I can do in the day and he just won't take a dummy, he takes forever to get back into his crib when he wakes up at night (1.5/2hrs n he wakes around 3/4 times) n therefore would like to be able to share this work with someone else n get some meaningful chunks of sleep!

Any thoughts on whether this is the right thing to do n how I should go about doing it? I'm particularly worried about him given his love to comfort suck.

Thanks ladies!

I honestly think that it's whatever is best for you but imho what you are going through is totally normal :hugs: Could you maybe try to pump and bottle feed in the evenings? DS was such a bad sleeper until he was 6months+ he wanted to cuddles and the comfort sucking but wouldn't keep a pacifier in his mouth while he was sleeping. Have you seen wubbanubs? His was a godsend! It was so much easier for him to hold onto and pu back in his mouth.

I decided to move on from bf when lo was 3 months too. It was just the right time for us, for all the same reasons as you, plus a few others.
If your lo already takes a bottle from your oh, then it should be relatively easy for you.
I started by introducing one extra bottle a week or every few days and dropping a bf or two (not that we ever had scheduled bf's, it was just feed on demand) until we were only bf if he woke in the night. Eventually he weaned himself off the breast completely.
Baby has now got himself into his own little routine of 4 7oz feeds a day plus a 6oz dream feed, which sees him through until about 8am. It's SO nice to be able to sleep again. He even takes a dummy now.
I think bf is wonderful if you can get on with it and you and baby are getting everything you both need. If you feel it's time to move on, then don't feel bad about doing so. Happy mummy=Happy baby.
Good luck! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->