Moving House and Travel in 3rd Trimester?!

Allie84

Mum and Pregnant
Reaction score
Planning to fly to see my mom this weekend at 30 weeks. I work for an airline so I know what to do re: rules but I'm nervous if I'm crazy. :wacko: I'll also have my 6 year old along. Any tips?!?!?!? Can I get a wheelchair lol? I get achey pelvis and bump from long walking and I'm nervous about the airport. Oh and the swelling from flying. Flew at 20 weeks and it was a doddle.....

Secondly, we may be moving house May 1st, which is when I'll be 36 weeks. How insane is that or is it doable? Hubby will be doing all the lifting but I'm mainly worried about the stress on my body from the emotional toll of moving. It involves so much! I'd had to put myself in preterm labor. Plus after we move I'm gonna have a mad dash for he nursery. Has anyone done it? It's just across town to a bigger house so nothing super major but still kinda a lot.

HELP! :sleep::sleep::sleep::dohh:

My first pregnancy I flew the latest at 32-33 weeks for vacation. I felt fine. No swelling or discomfort at all. Although I did bring a gel pillow for my back. I also packed a lot of snacks. And then I returned from vacation to pack up my house lol. We had a big move when I was about 34/35 weeks. My husband and movers did the heavy lifting obviously, but unpacking took me forever. The nursery was the first room we completed and then slowly worked on the remaining rooms. It was hard work but definitely doable. Good luck with your move!

i only moved at 2 and 5 months preggo, but i think with family support you could do it! right now and i am 35&1/2 weeks and some days i feel like yeah i could totally be unloading boxes and organize items into a new house but other days i am in bed/couch and barely get up to make my kids food, haha. depends how you are feeling but if that is what you gotta do then i know you can do it. make a list of what needs to be unpacked first for yourself and others who help and do things in order of what you and baby will need so you feel super relaxed and ready for babys arrival.
flying i am a tad paranoid but depends on flight length. and to help with swelling, walk around a lot, keep hydrated. and there is those foot and leg exercises you can do while sitting to to keep the blood flowing.

good luck! you will do great!

Thanks ladies! The flight is 2.5 hours each way so not too bad.

The other option is to drive with my DH (we are also emptying out an old storage unit up where my parents live....as it has some baby stuff like our crib). The drive is 900 miles but would save us the plane tickets (I just checked and they are $500 each for my son and I)....long story but I thought I'd get to fly for free with my job (as I usually get free standby) but they denied this trip. :growlmad: So now I have to either drive or buy tix.

So....a 15 hour drive each way? Doable or totally crazy?!?!?! :wacko:

allie with dd we moved house at at 34 weeks gone and was fine, the most stressful bit was all the stuff before because kept looking like would all fall through, the actual move and settling in was fine and i think much easier than my friend who did it when baby was here

I moved house with my 2nd at 37.5 weeks and again at 39 weeks (into my parents and onto a new house. The first time was with 3 days notice 😬 I've no idea how I managed. Accept all the help you can get, have a lot of tea breaks. Try and get rid of all the clutter you don't need before you move. Good luck!

I moved house on 29th june 2014 and gave birth on 2nd july 2014 so definitely do able although super tiring even if you dont do much :haha:

Good luck! Lots of sitting down and tea breaks.

Thanks ladies!! You are giving me hope haha!!

No experience with the move. We've always lived in the same house for all my kids (although we have thought about moving recently but so far have not acted upon it) but as for the plane/drive I do have some experience there. We went on a 13 hour drive during my third pregnancy to visit relatives that lived halfway across the country and honestly it wasn't that bad. We made it within 2 days with a 2 and 3 year old in tow. That was with stopping frequently at rest stops to stretch, use the restroom, eat, etc. This May we plan to fly down to Disney World before baby #5 comes. Since it is hard enough travelling with four kids I consider this our last vacation for a while lol. I'm nervous about flying, especially since I'll be in my third trimester then, but I think it'd be a lot easier than taking an 18 hour drive with 4 kids. I'd much prefer driving under any other circumstances.

I did both. I flew to Barcelona at 30 weeks. I was lucky and got upgraded for my long leg, but the short hop to new york was in E+ and it wasn't super comfortable. I didn't need assistance or anything though. Then we moved at 34 weeks to a new house. That was more stressful than flying for sure, but bearable. I just made my husband and brothers do almost everything and my mom helped a lot. I'm 36 weeks now and the nursery is kind-of-together, but still have a lot of other work to do. i'm usually the kind of gal who likes to do it all myself, but the only way I made it through was accepting help lol.

Thanks ladies! I'm back!!

I flew both ways and it was was easy. I'm 30 weeks. :) I got the gate agent to give me Economy Plus and aisle seats both ways and I just drank a TON of water. Avoided most of the foot swelling. Baby kicked a ton and seemed to like the trip lol.

The hardest part was standing in long lines at TSA. I wish they let pregnant ladies skip the line. ;) Then taking off my shoes and sweater, all the bending, it kind of wore me out but I just had a good sit for a few minutes and was good as new.

I'll let you know about the moving part lol. ;)

Glad your flights were ok!
Fx the move follows suit and is stress free!

Glad the travel part went well!

I’ve never moved while pregnant, but we moved a month after I had my daughter. I did a lot of the packing, but I didn’t lift anything heavy. We had a lot of help from family. Cleaning the new house and setting up and getting lunch and dinner. I was breastfeeding so I pretty much sat in a chair half the day with a baby on my boob. If you have people willing to help you definitely accept the help. Label and organize everything as you’re packing. Like what room everything needs to go in. I would have much rather been at the end of my pregnancy (I think)than caring for a 1 month old when we moved.
I hope everything goes well with your move!!

I moved a few weeks before having my first, and let me tell you, I've never unpacked our house so quickly, thanks to nesting! :haha:

WIth my oldest I attempted to move at 37 weeks, but my waters broke in the shower the morning of the move, so we had to move 2 weeks after she was born instead. Not sure if moving had anything to do with it or not - I had been really busy packing boxes the day before, but it might just have been her time anyway.

Hope your moving day is less eventful! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"