Moving on from baby cereal

nikky0907

Reaction score
Lola has been on her baby cereal for some time now, only once a day.
It has really improved her sleeping and her apetite in general (she's actually gaining weight :happydance:) so I was thinking of introducing another meal.
Is it too soon?
And should I still stick to baby cereal or can I move on to maybe veggies(and what kind?) or a bit of sauce?

She's 5 months in a few days.
xxx

Not sure what you mean by a bit of sauce?

Personally I started with the orange veggies, sweet potato, squash, carrots. Lola will let you know if she's not ready for them ;) I found that when introducing new veggies it helped to give her a bit of oatmeal in separate bowl, for some reason it made her more receptive to new things (well veggie wise, she loves all fruits!)

I was just telling ryder this...but...

My friend went to the dr with her 4 month old son this past week and he told her to start him on meats and veggies. He said that they SAY that because some organization reccomends it, but full term babies need to be started at 4 months. I can't remember if Lola was full term or not? But I'd say sometime soon if she's almost 5 months!

She was born at 37+2 weeks, my hospital classed it as full term...So strange, I always thought they would encourage to keep them on formula until 6 months!

Vickie - I was thinking a bit of apple sauce or something because she never had it! I am a total nervous freak/beginner when it comes to weaning :blush:

So I should start giving it to her? Just one favour at the time right?

i would move on honey, like vickie said, she will let you no if she's not ready :) i would try pureed carrot or you could mix apple and cereal together, maddi loves this x

After she had been on cereal for a bit I mixed some applesauce with her cereal, and after a couple times I gave it to her seperate. It is a bit tart so thats why I mixed it to begin with. She has had no problems with veggies, but likes peas the most so far.

My doctor said 3-4 months is ok for starting to wean.

Applesauce didn't sit well on Hannah's tummy in the beginning :( But every baby is different (and we may have just given her too much of it at once :blush:) She does love the stuff though!

I just added a tiny bit of sweet potato puree in with the baby rice at first so it isnt too strange in fact we rarely have veggies on there own at the moment. Also I found that they spit it out one day and then the next day they love it! For the sweet pototo I just steamed it in a colander over a pan of hot water and then blended it - its so yummy! Have to not eat it all myself!

Also I found that fruit puree on their own give Leo windy pops! The simpler the better at first I reckon!

hmm applesauce has never bothered Jasmines tummy... She totally couldn't have the oatmeal, I tried her on some for a couple days and it totally upset her tummy.

I have a feeding bowl that has two separate places to put food. I put fruit or veggies in one, and baby rice in the other. I start feeding him the baby rice, then give him a taste of the fruit/veggie separately. Eventually the fruit/veggie gets mixed in with the baby cereal. LOL

Anyhow, getting serious this week about weaning more and putting him on a feeding schedule. He's tried most of the veggies and a few fruits and no reaction.

So, honey, Lola will tell you what she doesn't want and I would go forth and start trying different foods with her.

Thanks girls!
Am gonna try it tomorrow morning when she's at her hungriest :lol:

Good luck! Weaning really is a lot of fun :D

:rofl:

Vickie might be retracting her statement today as I believe she was giving Hannah spaghetti yesterday.

actually finger foods tend to be cleaner than the purees :rofl:

hi there,

i found archie really loved the sweeter vegetables such as butternut squash and sweet potato, they end up a really smooth puree too which archie seemed to like, carrots were less easy to get smooth. I then started as others have said having 2 bowls, one of porridge the other fruit and slowly adding it, it's quite funny to see the surprise register when they first realise it's something different in their mouth! Banana is a really good fruit to start to add to porridge.

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->