Moving school advice please :(

Mummy2Asher

mummy to 2 boys!
Reaction score
Our situation; we live in bath in a Great area and DS1 is in reception at a fantastic school. We are close to OHs family and thinking about moving near them for Childcare support and just to be around the family really. OH is applying for a GP training job there and needs to choose where to apply to by December.
We moved to bath over a year ago and ds1 settled into his new nursery well and into reception well but I find it SO unfair to move him again to where to knows no body and his school is so great too and I'm finally making friends! Ash has made 3 little best friends and is SO happy.
Pros to moving;
More money
Support and childcare for work and uni
Bigger house

Have you ever moved a child to a new school? How did they cope? And in my situation what would you do?

I changed my son's school this september. We moved to be closer to family and as John had been in his other school since he was 4 it was a big deal to move him as he was friends with everyone in his class, and we were moving him to another school, not knowing if he was going to be an outsider for being new or not.

Looking at it now though it was the best decision we could have made, he's made so many friends. Children that age seem to just accept other children as they just want to play at the end of the day.

I won't lie though, it was a hard decision to make. But if you have thought it through fully and think it's the best decision then I'd say go with it if you really want to. Good luck with any choice you make, I'm sure it will be the right one. xxx

I haven't done it myself but from talking to other people who have they've said it's been fine and better to do it when your child is younger. They make friends pretty quickly and adapt quickly to usually so your son should be fine.

I wouldn't do it. I was moved around a lot as a child (first time year 1, then year 6, then year 9) and I have bad memories. One of my earlist memories is how frightened I was when I first moved school (into year 1) and I always struggled at first to make friends. When I moved when I was in year six, I cried my eyes out for weeks.

id make the move now children that young just accept others and make friends and it sounds like lots of positvies will come from the move

Children are more resilient to moving around and change than we give them credit for, I have worked in Service Childrens Education schools and am married to soldier so have quite an extensive knowledge of this area.

My advice would be that a child will feed from your feelings/emotions if you make it a very positive experience and are open about why/what/where etc then it'll very probably go very smoothly.

I work in a regular community primary school now in an area where the parents seem to like to move their children from school to school fairly regularly and again these children cope very well with the change.

I hope it goes well for you!
X

Hi, I havent done this personally but up till I had my little girl I was a reception/year one teacher. I had alot of children in my class who had just moved to the area and they settled in really quickly. In reception their friendship groups are more fluid anyhow so he will soon settle in. Teachers tend to get other children to help new children settle in as well. I know with the children who started in my class I spent some extra time to help them settle in. I had 2 children who spoke no english who started in the second and third term and they soon made friends and started picking up english so Im sure your son will be quick to make friends. As long as you are positive Im sure your son will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->