Moving to Northern Ireland 1 month prior to due date, crazy?

Rato

Reaction score
Hi y'all!

So me and my husband have decided to move to Northern Ireland 1 month prior to the due date, but my husband is coming back to London to teach and he will only be back 2 days prior to our due date, during that last month I will be living by myself, but his family will be around most of the time...
That means I will have to change hospitals and everything in the meantime.

Has anyone here done something similar? My midwife didn-t really seem surprised or freaked out by it, she just said that they will have to perform all the tests all over again at the new hospital. Is that bad?? Also there will be a time in early July in which only his sister will be about, and she-s got a 5 year old and a busy social life... what should I do if my waters brake, just get a cab?

This is really freaking me out but it will be the only way we can move out of London, which is too expensive and dangerous for us to live at the moment.

Has anyone here had a similar experience with regards to moving to late in pregnancy and husband being away? The truth is he can jump on a flight and it will only take him 1 hour to get to Belfast - but the thought of it is really scary...!

Nervous mum to be, due on 24/07/2013
xx

Haven't been in the situation but jst wanted to say I'm from N.Ireland :) are either you or hubbie originally from here? Follow your heart and
Do what feels right xx

Another northern Irish lady here! (Living in England now though) :)

Well the likeliness of u going into labour early if its ur first r quite low so hopefully ur hubby will be back in N.I

If something happens- just call an ambulance- that's what I plan to do if things progress quickly for me as hubby will take almost 2 hours to get home from work!

I'm sure ur hubby's family will be very happy to help u if things get close! In the meantime ull be so busy settling into new home that hopefully those last few weeks of pregnancy will go quickly for u!

The flight might only take an hour but by the time he gets to the air port, gets a ticket, waits in the airport, flys over, depending on which airport he can get flights on it can take another 40 mins to get into belfast so your looking more like 4/5 hours before he can get over. I recently flew to Belfast and from arriving at the airport to walking in my cousins front door was over 3 hours.

With my daughter by the time i realised i was in labour she was born 5.5 hours later and that was at 35 weeks.

Could you not stay in london untill baby is here and OH is done teaching?

Haven't been in the situation but jst wanted to say I'm from N.Ireland :) are either you or hubbie originally from here? Follow your heart and
Do what feels right xx

Hi! Yes, my husband is originally from NI /Belfast/ and I am originally from Portugal but have been in the UK for a while now. All of his family is there, except for his brother, so we've decided to go. Also, rents are a lot more affordable and given our line of work - being in London just makes it really expensive to get by, plus smaller houses, no family etc.

Do you still live in NI? I need to make some friends there as I will be by myself for the last few weeks and also when my husband return to London. It would be good to get to know some mommas ; )

Chat soon xx

Welcome to NI another NI mum here. I dont think you are mad , only takes a short time to move just dont be breaking yourself and get help. Is it Belfast you are moving to then?

Another northern Irish lady here! (Living in England now though) :)

Well the likeliness of u going into labour early if its ur first r quite low so hopefully ur hubby will be back in N.I

If something happens- just call an ambulance- that's what I plan to do if things progress quickly for me as hubby will take almost 2 hours to get home from work!

I'm sure ur hubby's family will be very happy to help u if things get close! In the meantime ull be so busy settling into new home that hopefully those last few weeks of pregnancy will go quickly for u!

Hi there!
Yes it is my first, I am hoping it won't be early and it will come at the right time, when my husband is home with me. We would want to do a few test drives from home to the hospital to see how we got on and have everything prepared. I guess it's cause it's our first baby and although we're moving a whole month prior to the due date it is still scary!

I guess you're right - best thing to do is to call an ambulance and just hope that my husband is able to fly straight away (because of my job, he can jump onto any flight at any time as a stand by passenger) - worse case scenario he misses the whole birth :haha:

I mean, we have to think about the fact that some women are completely alone when they go into labour, and they eventually manage, so I should be able to as well! It's just a bit scary!

xx

The flight might only take an hour but by the time he gets to the air port, gets a ticket, waits in the airport, flys over, depending on which airport he can get flights on it can take another 40 mins to get into belfast so your looking more like 4/5 hours before he can get over. I recently flew to Belfast and from arriving at the airport to walking in my cousins front door was over 3 hours.

With my daughter by the time i realised i was in labour she was born 5.5 hours later and that was at 35 weeks.

Could you not stay in london untill baby is here and OH is done teaching?

Oh God! I'm hoping that's not going to happen. The good thing is my husband can jump onto any flight back home at any time, although he would be a stand by passenger... We thought about staying in London until he's ready to go up but our tenancy agreement only goes up to 24 July so if I go into labour on 21 July for instance we would not have a house to return to as the new tenants would have moved in and we couldn't do a 12 hour drive to NI with a newborn - flying is also not advised for the first few days - not to mention we wouldn't have a passport for our baby, that's why we thought it would be better to move a whole month prior to the DD.

Just hoping she won't be early :wacko:

Welcome to NI another NI mum here. I dont think you are mad , only takes a short time to move just dont be breaking yourself and get help. Is it Belfast you are moving to then?

Hi Dragonfly!

Yes, we are currently looking for a house in Belfast, preferably on the East side as it would be closer to my husband's family!
My husband is going to have to do everything in terms of carrying the stuff into the van and out into the new place I will only organize things, won't be able to carry much :shrug:

Are you Belfast yourself? I would love to meet some NI mommas when I get there, that last month is going to be totally crazy :p

Hi Dragonfly!

Yes, we are currently looking for a house in Belfast, preferably on the East side as it would be closer to my husband's family!
My husband is going to have to do everything in terms of carrying the stuff into the van and out into the new place I will only organize things, won't be able to carry much :shrug:

Are you Belfast yourself? I would love to meet some NI mommas when I get there, that last month is going to be totally crazy :p
No I am further south than that on the boarder, Belfast is about 45 mins from me.

Can you not get your tenancy extended for a month? I would look ino that first and then move when the baby is a few weeks old.

I moved to Ireland when my baby was 3 weeks old. The reason I stayed in the UK was so my husband would definitely be at the birth. Although it was my 2nd child, she came 9 days early. It was extremely stressful trying to pack and move with a newborn but it would have been more stressful worrying about my husband missing the birth.

If you were to go into labour on your own you should be fine to ring a cab rather than an ambulance, as geerally it will be a while before you give birth. For both my labours I had to get a taxi to the hospital, as we don't drive. It was fine.

Good luck :)

You dont need a passport to get into northen ireland hun. You OH may be able to get onto any flight but what if the next flight is not for another 4 hours? Do you have any one else that could be with you just incase?

Hey there! I just recently switched doctors because I will be moving out of town in June. I didn't have to retake any tests. I just had to sign a release of information form in order to have my information sent to my new doctor. Good luck! I know how difficult it can be to move out in the third trimester.

Can you not get your tenancy extended for a month? I would look ino that first and then move when the baby is a few weeks old.

I moved to Ireland when my baby was 3 weeks old. The reason I stayed in the UK was so my husband would definitely be at the birth. Although it was my 2nd child, she came 9 days early. It was extremely stressful trying to pack and move with a newborn but it would have been more stressful worrying about my husband missing the birth.

If you were to go into labour on your own you should be fine to ring a cab rather than an ambulance, as geerally it will be a while before you give birth. For both my labours I had to get a taxi to the hospital, as we don't drive. It was fine.

Good luck :)

Hi! I guess everyone is different. We thought about that possibilty but our landlord is a bit of a prick and also I wouldn-t like to have viewings on the house so close to my due date, or move out with a newborn as it is a 12 hour journey up there, and I don-t want to fly with a newborn baby / to me it seems easier to move prior to the baby being born. We're not totally worried about my husband missing the birth itself although we would both prefer that he is there. I have my SIL close by and his dad will be close by as well, except for the first two weeks of July. I thought of moving after the baby is born but I can-t imagine packing everything and having to stop every hour or so to breastfeed - everybody says it's chaotic when the baby is born so I wouldn't like to do it, plus I would imagine the new tennants coming over to see the house and I wouldn't like anyone at the house at all prior/after giving birth - I am already dreading having to put up with viewings in a few weeks' time! People don't even bother taking their shoes off etc, I find that extremely rude, but oh well hopefully the flat will do quickly!!!

xx

yeah no one takes their shoes off except my landlord and his family and farm hands that work here, we where made to do that as kids in peoples houses as you didnt want to drag muck in. Was so weird talking to someone with no shoes on in your house as I never seen any one but myself do it as a child around here.

yeah no one takes their shoes off except my landlord and his family and farm hands that work here, we where made to do that as kids in peoples houses as you didnt want to drag muck in. Was so weird talking to someone with no shoes on in your house as I never seen any one but myself do it as a child around here.

Yeah. I always ask people to take their shoes off but sometimes I just feel like I'm asking them a HUGE favour so I don't say anything, but I won't let anyone in with shoes before the birth or straight after. Maybe I'll feel different in Belfast but here in London with the overpopulation I think there are too many germs around... I just think if there are all the germs from outside scattered in the carpet around the house surely it would be everywhere, but hey I'm probably being very overprotective here. I guess the other issue are the strains that stay in the carpet, mud etc... Oh well I'm thinking of putting something in the front door or just text people before hand so they know!

Heheheh I am such a control freak :blush:

xx

I think you will need a sign for that on your door and you will get some weird looks. :haha:

you should place bets on how many will do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->