Moving up a teat number early!

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Ok after a couple of weeks HV suggested moving Caitlin up a teat as she was poss a lazy drinker - this helped so when she got use to the sucking we changed her back which appeared to work but now OH wants to move her back to teat 2. We tried avent teat 2 and Tommee teat 2 when we first did this at a couple of weeks old and found the Tommee teat 2 faster flow but now shes 2 months (in 2 days) she may be ok with that?

Tommee teat 2 says 3 months - you think this will be ok? Did anyone else use teat 2 earlier? See Avent teat 2 says 1mnth+ Tommee 3mnth+ :wacko: We're using Tommee teats! Caitlin is still not taking more than 3oz 4oz when we lucky and she appears lately to struggle getting past 2oz!

the reccomended age is bcos of the flow of the bottle( well thts my opinion anyhoo) if she manages on the faster 1 and is struggling atm, go for it! :D

I think she may be struggling :confused: OH seems to think that she gets tired of sucking on her bottle. Surely she should be taking more than 3oz now? Its getting tiring that she needs a bottle every 3 hours literally so if we give her a bottle at 12 takes an hour to feed & burp then at 3 she wants another - poss wakes before that.

I used Vari flow teats with both of mine, they can suck has hard or slow as they like with them
sometimes it is just trial and error

do u wind her half way through her feed?

I do yer middle & end of feed we wind her - she refuses to carry on anyway when she wants her back rubbed haha!

Jo are they for the Tommee nature bottles?

Hmm dunno about the nature ones, most brands do them
I had Mothercare for Em and Tommee Tippee for Jack

Yup they do them :)
https://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/department/teats/

See they are still based on how much they suck I think thats her problem - maybe! Hmmmm

BAD SITE .... They have disney baby stuff :wohoo:

I will send my OH to you when the goodies start rolling in :rofl:

I dIdn't direct you to Disney stuff!!! :rofl:
I know its stll based on the sucking action but she might suck quick to begin with and slow down
With Slow teats she won't get enough to bgin with and with fast will get too much when she wants to slow down
does that make sense?

Basically with these she can control the flow

We moved Thomas to the size 2 Tommee Tippee at around 6 weeks because he was on C&G Comfort which is slightly thicker milk.
He had no problems :hugs:

Cx

Hi Wobs,

Matthew has been on number 2 teats for the last few days under the advice of my HV. I found that he didn't latch on properly when I breast fed for the first 10 days but didn't say anything because i knew I was going to switch to bottle for convienience and didn't want the third degree from the midwife or health visitor. BUT, I also noticed even with bottles he didn't get a good suction on the teat and seemed to be struggling with finding the energy to suck after the first 2oz. I remembered from a tv show I'd watched when i was pregnant that there is this condition called "toungue tied". It's where the dangly bit under your tongue is fused higher up your tongue therefore they can't poke out there tongue very far. So, despite feeling a bit like a paranoid mother I asked the HV on Tuesday when i went if she'd have a look and sure enough, she thinks he is Tongue Tied. This effects the way he feeds because the fact that he can't poke his tongue out and lift his tongue high in his mouth, he can't get the good suction on the teat, and when he does feed it takes all his energy to just take the first 2oz, the rest he either gives up on or just slurps some of it down.

I'm rambling now, sorry. She told me to tell the doctor at his 8 weeks check and he'll have a look too, but seeing as Matthew does seem to be feeding okay and gaining weight, they probably won't do anything about it. It's more than likely that they will tell me to just let them know if it effects his speech when he's older.

Anyway, to my point .... Avent and Tommee Tipee teats are made of quite a a hard silicon which if she's getting tired might be the problem. I decided to stay clear of both of them and I got medium flow (no2) Tesco wideneck teats and he's really taken to them. Dribbled more than usual for the first day but he's figured out he doesn't need to suck so hard now. They are alot softer which means he can get a good suction and mould his mouth better.

I ran on a bit much then, got carried away :)
Hope it helps
Naimi xx

PS. another sign of Tongue Tied is that when they do poke their tongue out, it comes to kind of a heart shaped, or lizard like, because the dangly bit pull the middle of the tongue back when the rest of the tongue is trying to be pushed out. Matthew has that too, its kind of cute :)

Olivia has been with the Avent teat 2 since she was a week old as instructed by the midwife.

This was because she had awful trapped wind in her tummy, part of the reason was the teat 1 was too restricting fo her and she looked like she was struggling to get enough milk from it and so for taking in gulps of air.

x

Naimi,

Just wanted to say I'm "tongue tied", the piece of skin that joins my tongue to the bottom of my mouth is restricting, so I can't stick my tongue out very far.
I never really noticed until my Dentist noticed it and said about her little baby having an operation to cut the piece of skin as apparently it can restrict speech.

But I speak normally, I always progressed quicker than average as a child and have never even been aware of it. I have had no problems at all and I'm 30.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you worry :hugs:

Cx

Im in a bit of a rush today so Ive breifly ran over last few replys & from what I can tell I think I'll shift her up then. Thanks so much for the info girls and helping me make up my mind as I growled @ my OH when he suggested it ... I thought it would choke her :blush: I think the more I think on it and this thread which has helped has made my mind up.

Just have to buy them now! Anyone think BLIMEY at the price of 2 teats (I have 8 bottles lol)? :rofl:

yup!! i think it every 3 bloomin month wen i replace my teats :rofl:

Adam has been on number 2 since he was 2 or 3 weeks old, he feeds well from it.

Naimi, im tongue tied, so is Ethan, Coby and Adam. It didnt affect my speach atall, with Ethan it make him speak later than other kids but he soon caught up, think Coby is going the same way coz he doesnt say much.
But its nothing to worry about, it hasnt affected me in life, apart from i couldnt get my tongue peirced lol

x

Thankyou MrsE and Layla. I do feel a lot better knowing that it won't necessarily cause him any problems.

Naimi xx

:wohoo: I had 2 teats from doing this before before going back to teat 1

She just took a bottle nicely rather than feeling like she was struggling. See at 1oz or 2oz she seems to stop sometimes giving up that alone takes about 30-40 minutes? She just took 3oz winded then last oz winded fine and is now settled ... well coo'ing to herself lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->