moving whilst claiming full housing benefit?

staycutee

mummy
Reaction score
I have posted about this before a few months ago but I still don't understand it properly so if anyone could explain it to me I'd be grateful!

Basically right now I claim full housing benefit, I don't have a proper tenancy agreement so I wouldn't have to give notice when I'm leaving. I want to move to another area (so different council).

What confuses me is the order in which to go about things? Do I look for a new flat that accepts DSS and sign a tenancy agreement THEN apply for housing benefit with the new council? If so, do I have to end the HB claim for this property first? If I do, what am I meant to do in the inbetween stages while I am waiting for the new claim to be sorted out?

It just seems so confusing to me! I need to move ASAP so really need to get my head round this once and for all

While moving you will have your HB stopped due to registering a change in circ's.. When you take your new tenancy agreement and the letter housing sent you about moving, you will have a box? to tick if you have had an overlap of properties so are paying two lots of rent.. Be carefull if your moving from a housing house to a private as I know in my area from family claims from 2months ago are still being processed so you will need to be able to cover your full rent/rents while they are re-assesing your claim..

Also if you are moving to a different council you will need to apply for housing within that council rather than the one you are in now which is then a whole new claim I believe.

So to sum up..

Find new place
Notify current council of moving (they will stop payments)
Move into new place
Notify new council

Be able to cover all rents for any period of up to 3months really

I may be wrong but i had a feeling you need to have established roots with the new area you want to move to. Job, family etc. Something to look into just incase.

On answer to your question you have to move, sign the tenancy agreement before you can start a new claim. So you will need to have the money there for rent as this can take up to 2 months. Hope this helps x

I may be wrong but i had a feeling you need to have established roots with the new area you want to move to. Job, family etc. Something to look into just incase.

On answer to your question you have to move, sign the tenancy agreement before you can start a new claim. So you will need to have the money there for rent as this can take up to 2 months. Hope this helps x

That is true if you're applying for council/H.A. housing, surely if it's private let you can go wherever you like x

Yeah that's what i thought, I'm looking for a private landlord so will be fine I think

if its private renting then you can move where you like, if you are applying for local authority housing then they ask you why you need to live there.

Yeah that's what i thought, I'm looking for a private landlord so will be fine I think

Yes sorry that is prob the case, had a feeling i had seen the information somewhere but it may well have been about council housing. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->