MRI Contrast Dye Pump and Dump?

Jaymelynn

Reaction score
I have to go for my annual MRI where they use gadolinium contrast dye. My doctor said there is "not enough research" to tell me if I should avoid the dye all together or to pump and dump and for how long. She pretty much left it up to me. I really want to get the dye because I feel it is important for my scan (I had a brain tumor), but I do not want it to effect my baby. I have googled this topic and found a wide range for how long to dump and dump- anywhere from no wait to 48 hours of dumping, Anyone have experience with this??

I've gotten conflicting info as well. When my daughter had hers done, I supposedly couldn't go in there with her since I breastfed. BUT at a different location when I had MY MRI done, I was told I didn't have to pump and dump at all. :shrug:

Google up Dr Jack Newman. He seems to know his stuff and I remember reading on his site/fb page that you didn't have to pump and dump.

Wish all these drs would get on the same page :wacko: Too much conflicting advice/info on E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!!! :dohh:

Thanks! I feel like my doctor was just too lazy to look into it. I do not understand why they said you could not go in the room- very weird. When you got an mri did they use dye? You are right everything conflicts- so frustrating!

I had an MRI done, with contrast when my son was about 7 months old. My OB and the tech told me that there was no harm but if I wanted I could always pump and dump. I hated too but I felt better knowing that at least "hopefully" most of it was out of my system after a few hours. I drank tons of water..don't know if that actually helped but I did pump about 3 hours after and fed directly about 6 hours after with out any know side effects to my baby. Good luck! I know it is a scary thing!! I didn't think I was going to have to have contrast and broke down in tears when they told me I did, I was so worried about feeding and pumping and the whole but. I made them wait until I could reach my OB and he said it was totally fine, everyone was super nice and totally understood my concern.

Thank you! From what I read I think I will pump and dump few a few hours. Like you, it will make me feel better. That is awful that they did not warn you about the dye. I think I would have cried too. I am glad it worked out for you.

Thanks! I feel like my doctor was just too lazy to look into it. I do not understand why they said you could not go in the room- very weird. When you got an mri did they use dye? You are right everything conflicts- so frustrating!

Yep had the dye as well :thumbup: Was told I didn't have to pump and dump and all was well :shrug:

The first hospital claimed the "rays" or whatever from the MRI would go into my breastmilk so hubby had to be in with DD. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->