• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MRI Scan in Pregnancy

claireybell

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

Looking for some advice really from anyone who’s had an MRI Scan when pregnant? Im getting myself into a bit of a state over it...

Im nearly 33 wks, in 2 wks time i have one booked as my Placenta is very close to my existing csection scars & Consultant wants to be extra sure all is ok for when i go in for my elective csection in December! My paperwork advises nothing to eat/drink 4hrs before scan & takes between 30-90 mins! :shock: For what they are checking for, does it really take a minimum of 30mins? Im abit anxious in small spaces & laying flat esp staying still atm is a huge issue for me...

Any advice or prev experience with this would be amazing, Thanku in advance X

I’ve had an MRI before, but not while pregnant. The larger the area they’re scanning, the longer it will take, because each image is a thin cross section and they take lots. I would say at least 30 min for any MRI. Hopefully they will have you lie on your side, not flat! It’s really hot and loud in there, and you have to stay perfectly still the whole time. They gave me headphones with music playing.

Good luck! I hope it doesn’t take too long and everything looks good!

Thankyou Wish...

Im not good with heat when anxious so im glad you’ve mentioned that :) fx it wont be any longer than the 20-30+ mins ive read about eek!

My neurologist won't even attempt an MRI while I'm pregnant, he scheduled it for after I give birth. He said he's worried about the effect the magnets could have on the baby. He didn't seem too concerned as far as the likelihood of anything happening, just wanted to be cautious. I haven't done any research on it for myself yet though. Chances are if they want you to do an MRI, the risks don't outweigh what you need it for.

Good luck hun!!

I had an mri when pregnant on my ds at about 36 weeks. Mine took about an hour but it was a more in depth one I'd imagine than you need as they needed to get a good look at my son. I'd say 20/30 mins is probably what youre looking at. Honestly, it was hard, especially staying still on such a hard surface but it will be over before you know it and at least they're taking precautions now to make sure your delivery is safe :)

Im just hoping i dont get myself into a flappy state about it.. Thankyou Gillian x

Sounds like they're checking for accreta or percreta. I haven't had an Mri before, but checking your scar for placental encroachment doesn't seem like it would be a very long scan.

NDH yes i think they are checking for this, my Placenta is less than the “ideal” distance they like..

I dont know any breathing techniques but i can get something sorted, fx it’ll be a quick scan..

I actually just had a MRI at 29 weeks pregnant as they were suspicious of blood clots in my brain. They assured me the scan was safe . My little girl seems just fine in the days since <3

Thankyou Ninja, im glad you & baby girl are ok since scan.. was it a long scan for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->