Multiple ultrasounds safe?

stellababy

Reaction score
So I had a scan today to get some views they couldn't in my 20 week scan, and a maternal fetal doc flagged me as "high risk" due to my uterine abnormallty.

I delivered at another hospital before and they treated me as a normal pregnancy for it. It's a septated uterus where you can have a miscarriage if the baby implants on the septum around 11-12 weeks.

This baby's placenta is in the front left, so I thought I was fine. Anyways, he is recommending ultrasounds every 3 weeks until the end.

Is this safe to have so many ultrasounds? I already had 4! So it would be 9 ultrasounds total.

Any experience with having so many ultrasounds in a pregnancy?

Perfectly safe. There is nothing to suggest ultrasounds are not safe in pregnancy. They've been used for a long time now and numerous large studies have found no known risks. It's not like an X-ray that uses radiation or anything.

Even then, my poor colleague broke her leg early on in pregnancy and had to have loads of x-rays as it wasn't healing correctly and she was in agony. Her little one is a healthy two year old! These things happen and the doctors balance up the risks. If your doctor is recommending you have them, then I wouldn't hesitate. It's for yours and babies wellbeing!

I had them weekly with my second daughter from 27 weeks due to waters leaking. I had several with my son due to bleeding-all fine!

I've had a lot of ultrasounds with many of my pregnancies. With my first, I had 11 that I can remember - probably even more! He's perfect! With my daughter, I had to get a few Level II ultrasounds done, too, because her heart was showing to be defective, and they wanted to make sure she'd be born with a normal heart. She was! She's perfect, too! So far with my current pregnancy, I've had 6 (baby was measuring VERY small in first tri), and I'm due for a Level II ultrasound within the next few weeks to double check her heart, since she kept putting her arms in the way during the anatomy scan. It's all right. :)

Thanks girls! I guess it will be nice to regularly see my little one. Just no fun being high risk. This doctor made a huge deal of something I have known about in the past which wasn't an issue in past pregnancies past the first trimester

With my son, I had over 15 ultrasounds... He had a birth defect called Gastroschisis which needed to be watched carefully..in the end I was getting 2 ultrasounds a week. They did do some testing on his ears when he was born but that wasnt just because of ultrasounds but also meds he was on while in the NICU.. he is perfectly healthy playing lego on the floor right now, 4 years old. I loved seeing him so often <3

I had 9 with my daughter and she's a smart, happy, healthy almost 4 year old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->