Multisymptom Cold Medicine- Need Advice!

Sassy Rabbit

Reaction score
I recently got a bad cold and my doctor's nurse told me a few things I could take including Tylenol Cold and Sinus. I got Tylenol Cold Multisymptom and took it for 2 and 1/2 days before looking it up and realizing that the ingredient Phenylephrine is bad for fetus (especially in the first trimester). I am at the very end of my first trimester, 12.5 weeks. I hate that the doc didn't specify which type of tylenol cold was a no no, but she did not. Now I just have to deal with the worry.

I was wondering if anyone else who has taken this decongestant has had any issues or if anyone can ease my mind. What do you know about the likelihood of this causing problems?

I too came down with a nasty cold so I feel your pain. I was told by my doc that the Tylenol cold stuff was ok to take. I only ended up taking one dose and just toughing it out since most of the time I couldn't keep anything down for long anyways. I had a different nurse tell me that it was ok to take sudafed which I thought was bad. It seems that the more people you ask the more different answers you get. I found it frustrating.

My doc said no to cold & sinus medications. Also, regular Tylenol is being linked with ADHD now, so there needs to be a LOT more research on that for me to decide to take it. I drink peppermint tea with raw/local honey to open up my sinuses and kill infection in my throat, simmer some apple cider vinegar diluted in water on the stove to get it into my system, use a vaporizer/humidifier, and rest a lot. Regardless of what you choose, continue to do your research before caving in and taking something. And increase your fluids to loosen up any congestion, especially with hot/warm liquids.

Edit: My doctor DID okay regular Robitussin. I've never taken it, but people DO take it for TTC as well, so check that out as well to help with congestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->