Mummies of autism - did you notice any signs when they were babies?

I think you will find things get a lil easier as he gets a bit older. My son is 7 now and able to communicate with my much better. Meltdowns are less often (still bad but less often). Things have slipped into place a bit more xx

I dont know why my son has autism but I believe I was blessed with him for a reason (and I am not a religious person!) I believe what he lacks in communication he makes up for else where. He has recently started having french/spanish tutoring. Now I struggled to learn one language but he is praticly pretty fluent in french already and now learning spanish. It baffles me!

P.S I never thought my son would be potty trained or talk! It just happened!

Thanks, I think it's because he is so young that I can't seem to get my head around it. I'm sure once he starts getting older and doing more I will get used to the idea. I was wondering about potty training, I haven't even bought him a potty yet as given half the chance he will pee on the floor so I know he's not ready just yet. Like you say they are very intelligent kids and will shine in some things more that others. It's funny you should say you were blessed, my OH keeps telling me Finlay was gift from above xx

I know I can only just talk a few words in foreign, he is a very clever boy :thumbup::flower:

My son was diagnosed autistic at barely 3, and we were told to get him assesed before this so he had alot of signs early on. He is a wonderful wonderful little boy of 4 now and doing so well so try not to fear autism hun:hugs:

Back to the question, yes there were a fair few signs, he is rigid in routine, he gets obsessed randomly and has done from a very young age. I remember him going through a stage at around 19m of just saying "light" over and over again whenever he saw one. His speech is brilliant but monotoned and he takes absolutely everything literally. He wont give much eye contact and never has, he runs with a flap, he was also a late walker and has a few other delays (he has a dx of global developmental delay also). He has to smell everything:dohh: Also he has obsessive tendancies over cleanliness, has to wash his hands and shower at remote signs of being dirty, this got to the point where he would scream to shower several times in a meal! He has been going to a special ed preschool run by the school district for over 6 months now and he's come on so so much, he can cope with some messy play now and can walk to his bus without smelling every single flower on the way, although he still likes to smell the road!

A few pluses, he was completely potty trained by 2 due to his fascination with the toilet:thumbup: He is learning to read and doing really well! With his routine, he goes to bed and is sleeping at 7pm come what may. I get lots and lots of hugs!

Down side, he's currently running around in a circle shouting "smell my butt":dohh: :rofl: I wouldn't change my boy for the world, yes doctors and therapists appointments can be draining and time consuming and yes autism can be a very daunting prospect but your child is still your child and no label will change that:hugs:

Midnight fairy:hugs:

Hi ladies,

I am a mother of a 6 year old with autism, he was diagnosed when he was 2. It was a regression with him as it often is with many children on the spectrum, he met all his milestones and then one day (around 18 months)... poof, it was like he disappeared and was replaced with a completely different child. He didn't try to talk, he wouldn't make eye contact...only grunted. They told me I had to prepare myself for the chance he would never speak.

This is a video he made for Autism Awareness month when he was 4.

It might make those of you with kids on the spectrum or suspect they might be... a bit better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91iWd1JeNyw&list=UUpRSx70iwpC4PbHagSdTP-Q&index=3&feature=plcp

Today he goes to kindergarten, has a best friend at school, gets invited to birthday parties...and talks up a storm! Not to mention he is reading at a level well above where he should be and is a whiz with the computer. Early intervention is key.

Thanks for sharing your video what an amazing beautiful boy you have :flower: You have made me feel so much better. My boy only grunts so theirs time yet to progress xx

Hi - just wanted to share my little boy with you.

He's 10, nearly 11, and he was officially diagnosed autistic at about 3, maybe just turned 4, but the signs were there from a very early age. He didn't talk at all until he was 4 or 5, and then it was just a few words here and there. Often the ones he was using would disappear when he learned a new word, so he never had much language until later.

He was late in his milestones - sitting, crawling, walking, and gross/fine motor skills have always been poor. He still can't do up buttons, or dress himself. He can't ride a bike.

As a baby he was very passive - rarely cried and slept a lot. I thought at the time it was a blessing, as his older sister had been so very demanding and wakeful. But then the problems became apparent. He was very clingy to me - wouldn't let me out of his sight and got hysterical when he couldn't see me. This continued for many years, and it is still difficult to leave him with anyone other than a chosen few. He had terrible tantrums with his lack of communication - he would hit his head on any hard surface causing bruising, hit, kick, scream, throw himself on the floor. He would put his hands over his ears and flap his hands. To communicate he would take me by the hand and lead me to what he wanted me to do. He did potty train early though, which was great until we realised the obsession with toilets had begun. That one remains to this day. :dohh:

Over the years the behaviours have changed - one set will be replaced by another. Now he is obsessed with elevators, buses and trains. As his language has developed, he exhibits more of the classic autistic traits in the things he says - parroting, repetition, phrases copied from tv, etc. He needs routine, he needs a plan, he needs a lot of patience. There is so much I could add - the stories and anecdotes are endless. He has learning difficulties also, so academically he struggles, and he has attended special school all his life.

But he has been the most wonderful gift in our lives. He is affectionate, funny, loveable and kind. He has enhanced our lives in ways we never thought possible. We have embraced every part of how he is, and his funny ways just become part of our daily routine. Like others have said - never fear autism.

I love hearing all these stories and how different our children are yet wonderful all the same x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->