Mum's reaction

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by loveylove, Jan 26, 2011.

1. loveylove

loveylove Well-Known Member

So I decided to tell my mum I am expecting.. I called her in the middle of dinner because once OH suggested I tell her I just couldn't wait. Also, she had a big fall out with my sister recently (they ALWAYS fall out) and I thought hearing she was going to be a Granny might cheer her up- this will be her first grandchild.

Her reaction was not great, she wasn't mad or anything- I have a good job, long term boyfriend, house, money etc.. but there was no excitement whatsoever in her voice.

So now two days have gone by and she texts me suggesting I tell my sister, so it might spark up some conversation between the two of them... I'm livid here :growlmad: She wants to use the news of MY pregnancy to rekindle their relationship- which I'm sorry but they're both selfish so perhaps that's why their personalities clash ?!

The last message she sent me said 'I'm glad you're having a kid, maybe now you'll see how it feels'. God my family sucks.

2. abc123x

abc123x Well-Known Member

Well, my goodness. Maybe she'll change and be different about it, but who knows. Mothers are so weird about pregnancies... never say what you think they will.

3. jocelynmarie

jocelynmarie Well-Known Member

Awwww... I'm very sorry hon, that is definitely not the kind of reaction that anyone hopes for! That does sound very selfish of her.

4. kimbotrav

kimbotrav Well-Known Member

ahhhhhh bless i bet thats not the reaction u wanted arghhhhh family sometimes im sure hopefully soon shell come round and start to get excited for u :) xxxx

5. kaths101

kaths101 Well-Known Member

Im dreading telling mine! Im sorry yours wasnt what you expected but I think when we put them on the spot they dont know what to say! (though a congratulations will do!! :dohh:)
    As the weeks go on they will hopefully become more excited..

6. lovieleigh

lovieleigh Engaged and Expecting

Mine just hung up the phone on me sweetie...so i feel your pain, i really need my mum, so i dont know what to do!! xxx

7. Dingo1985

Dingo1985 Pregnant - 1st Trimester

I'm not telling my mum until after the 12 weeks scan - no idea what her reaction to be...

Lovieleigh - why did she hang up? Maybe she was just shocked?

Loveylove - I'm sure she didn't mean to be insensitive. Some people just don't think through the impact of what they say. I'm also sure that she'll be more excited as the weeks go on and the news sinks in that she's going to be a grandma.

8. purapura

purapura Well-Known Member

Give her some time, I am sure she will be very exited soon. When I tad my mum, her first reaction was: "you will not cope with a baby". I am 28 by the way.
    Few days after she was worried and not too exited her reaction changed. Now she cant wait to buy the whole shop for the little grandchild :)

9. purapura

purapura Well-Known Member

Lol, I heard that from my mum as well :shrug:

10. Dingo1985

Dingo1985 Pregnant - 1st Trimester

I wonder if my mum will be hurt I haven't told her before 12 weeks??

11. lovieleigh

I honestly think i heard her swear, then the line just went dead, but when she found out that i was engaged to my fiance, she didnt speak to me for a month, im hoping that she comes round soon as its my first and i think every girl needs her mum!! xx

12. lovieleigh

this is why i had to tell mine straight away, one less thing for her to be assey about!! :D xx

13. loveylove

What the hell is with this stuff?? Sometimes what they don't say is worse then what they do!!

14. loveylove

I'm sure if she's a normal person she will just be so excited she won't have time to pick apart what you're saying and ruin the moment. I really thought my mum would come round after I told her but instead she said she had to go because i woke her up and she was still feeling tired (it was like 7pm).

15. v31984

v31984 Well-Known Member

oh gosh.. im also dreading telling my mum, this will be my third child and she wasnt too pleased with me having my last child although she did warm to the idea in the end and was at the birth with me.. i think its natural for us to be worried about telling our mums and natural they dont always react the way we would like sometimes.. at the end of the day im sure she will be over the moon and soon do your head in with advice lol.. x

16. lucilou

lucilou Cooking again!

you poor thing, just when you could really use the support! But at least she knows now, so in that sense the worst is done - I'm sure she'll come around. Maybe being a granny is making her feel old... maybe that's it?

17. abc123x

abc123x Well-Known Member

Do you think your mom is miserable or something? And that makes her upset when something good happens to you? Such a strange reaction. I hope she will come around.

18. shimmy

shimmy mummy , daddy and baby

mine took about 2 weeks before she really spoke to me.. i dont think she knew what to say lol.
    shes more over the moon than ever now and has bought more than a suitcase of clothes!!! lol. Hope it gets better xxx

19. ashley2pink

ashley2pink Mom to 4 girls

My mom gets super excited, but my husbands mom? She really acts like she could care less!! When I was pregnant with my 1st,we told her and she really had no reaction. On the other hand my mom was jumping for joy and started crying!! My mom said to my mom-in-law"arent you excited!" and my mil said, "i already have another grandchild" Who btw was 12 at the time!! My husband ,at 26, is the youngest of 7 kids, and the only one who has a child beside him is his oldest sister!! We are pregnant with #3 now. His mom is just so odd to me!

20. Regalpeas

Regalpeas 25th hour dash! 38+ trying

Sorry about that. People are weird sometimes but we hope those people wont be our parents. A new baby is a huge adjustment for everyone in the immediate family. I hope she thinks about it and apologizes. This is the time you need her most.