My 3 week old gulps down 4 oz in 5 mins every 3 hours

Elizdia

Reaction score
Hi all

Just after a bit of advise, my baby has a big appetite and wants 4oz every 3 hours. He is only 3 weeks old! He gulps his milk down in 5 mins and then really squirms and wriggles like he is struggling to burp, it could take him up to an hour to burp and even when he does he still wriggles around? Arching his back and does a distressed face like he has more wind.

Do you think because he is gulping it down he is talking in loads of air to give him gas? Should I change to level 2 teats

Thanks x

You might have already tried this, but do you burp him half way through the feeding? I have to do that with one of my daughters.

DS2 is almost 4 weeks old. When we introduced the bottle, we use a bottle that is vented (helps with air intake by baby), and it's already a medium flow nipple (assuming that would be the same as your lvl 2). At first it seemed he was taking it down too quickly and thought about buying slow flow nipples but was afraid that would add to his gassyness. But he does well on what we have. What I do is watch him as he's taking his bottle. I will stop every few minutes or if I see he's just letting it run out his mouth, and burp him. And then once he's done eating, I will hold him up on my shoulder to make sure he gets all the air out of his tummy. He takes 3oz every 4 hours.

I would not change to a level 2 nipple, the flow would be faster! I use the Dr. Brown's bottles - they're vented, and LO hardly has any gas. I highly recommend them.

Stick with the level 1, level 2 would be too fast. DD was drinking about 4oz every 3-4 hours at that age too. I would try burping after every oz, seemed to help DD a lot

Eating every 3hrs sounds about right. I don't think you should move to a faster teat as he won't be able to control how much he takes in, and overeating could easily cause tummy pain and squirming. I agree with the advice already given to burp him every ounce or so. Some babies confuse wind pain with hunger and eat when they really need to burp.

Does he alternate between arching his back and stretching his legs out? If so it's more likely to be bottom wind than burps. My DS was bad for this until about 2 months. There's lots of good little exercises you can do with his legs if it is his bum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->