My 7 day old breast fed baby hasn't done a poo for 36 hours??

cazi77

Mummy to my 2 girls x
Reaction score
I'm starting to get worried as my 7 day old baby hasn't had poo for 36 hours. She is passing wind but no poo. Any advice please? X

Don't worry about it, it's quite normal for BF babies. DS went about two days without a dirty nappy when he was around 7 days and the midwife said it was absolutely fine and to contact her or the hospital if it went over 3/4 days.

I think mine only went about once a week at one point. GP said up to 10 days was ok! There's not much waste with bfing.

Up to 10 days is fine. As long as LO is happy and peeing lots then probably everything is fine.

My little one is 6 days old now and he only went on day 1, 2, and 5,6. I didnt worry because my first only went once a week for the first 6 months!

It can be perfectly normal (like other posters have experienced) but recently the advice that bf babies don't need to poo everyday has been retracted for newborns. To ensure that milk transfer is really happening, you do want to see about 3 dirty (poo not just wee) nappies, or more, every day in the first two weeks. Obviously not all babies are the same but it is worth keeping an eye on and mentioning to a health professional if it doesn't happen soon.

Newborns should poo more often than an older baby. By about 4-6 weeks it's normal for poo to be less frequent, but for younger babies they should poo several times a day ideally. However, my 8 month old didn't poo between days 2 and 7, and it was just his body using everything up. I was worried, and I made sure to keep a close eye on his weight gain and his urine output. It's not 'normal' for a newborn baby not to poo, but it can happen and be fine, or it might be indicative of a transfer problem, or a supply problem. Keep an eye on everything else and if you're worried at all go and get LO weighed and see what's going on. It's pretty much definitely not constipation, though, so don't go down the boiled water or prune juice methods some recommend online.

Still having problems! She did a poo on sat evening but nothing since. She is having plenty of wet nappies. I'm confident she is getting plenty of milk as it's pouring out of me and she us feeding frequently.

I'm so worried about it but have the midwife coming out today so she will be weighed and checked over.

Thanks for your replies

Let us know how it goes! I do know that breast milk has a natural laxative in it, so it is kind of concerning that she has not pooed yet. I bet the MW will know whats going on. Good luck hun!

It's not necessarily concerning that she hasn't pooed, but it could be a warning flag for other, more serious issues (mainly relating to milk transfer). As long as she has passed her meconium and she's passing wind, you can say with certainty that her bowels work. Some babies are just slower poo-ers. DS2 has a much slower system that my eldest ever had. But lack of poo in a small baby isn't strictly *normal* and should be kept an eye on x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->