• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

my baby born 05/25, can I start solids?

monte3375

Reaction score
I breastfeed. He has been tough to keep full lately, constantly feeding. He watches us eat and moves his tongue in and out.

I bought some organic stage one veggie and fruit mix, I gave him a teaspoon last night and he loved it.

Is it OK to start fruit and veggies...should it be cereal instead?

Even though it is not 10/25 yet, he is 20 weeks old.

It's personal preference, some follow the guidelines of 6+months.

i personally waited 6 months, not just because the guidelines say so but I did not believe my baby's digestive system was ready for solids before 6 months.

Years ago people weaned early, even earlier than 4 months but there has been a lot of research on this subject since to prove it's probably not a good idea but I still think it's YOUR choice.

ETA - also I don't know why people are in a rush to wean! the sleeping doesn't get better when you wean and the nappies are atrocious!

They say it's 6 months but with all 3 of my kids I started early. Try starting with just the cereal for a few weeks.

Your baby will tell you what he needs.

Good luck and enjoy x

I started at 4 months and have had no issues. I follow him and let him guide me. He was on 3 meals a day by six months. It is advised to wait till 6 months, but in fairness my HV's were always the first to encourage weaning earlier if the baby was ready. I would recommend starting slowly though, do you can check that LO isn't having a bad reaction to anything your feeding. My little guy had blueberry purée for his second meal and still loves them now! X

I breastfed my son and started baby led weaning at 6 months.

if your baby is gaining weight, sleeping through the night, there is no need to wean early. It's just more headache - his milk is still going to be his main meal and you'll be adding additional meals.
I breastfed, bubs was sleeping through the night at 3-4 months and on 97 percentile for weight/height so we waited till 6 months and started with baby led weaning instead of purees.

The guidelines say 6 months.

Signs that they are ready for weaning are able to sit unaided, able to bring objects to their mouth and loss of tongue thrust reflex.

It is most likely a growth spurt in which case breastmilk will have more calories than solids and baby is trying to increase your supply.

At the end of the day though it's your baby and you can do what you like.

It's personal preference, some follow the guidelines of 6+months.

i personally waited 6 months, not just because the guidelines say so but I did not believe my baby's digestive system was ready for solids before 6 months.

Years ago people weaned early, even earlier than 4 months but there has been a lot of research on this subject since to prove it's probably not a good idea but I still think it's YOUR choice.

ETA - also I don't know why people are in a rush to wean! the sleeping doesn't get better when you wean and the nappies are atrocious!

This is all exactly what I would have said, I didn't start weaning until around 7 months or so. My LO however showed zero interest in food until then.

This poster is bang on with the downside of starting solids... I have to add to it. Mealtimes become so messy and once baby is on solids your packing food for her everytime you leave the house, when before all you needed was your boobs!

I weaned all 3 of mine when they showed signs of needing it rather than according to the date

You should start when you feel your baby is ready. None of us can see him and the signs he's giving you. So if you see and think he's ready, then go for it. I did the same with my daughter and she's a brilliant eater and very slim and has been ill three times in 3 years. I think we started around 5 months.
The guidelines change every year and the last news is that starting at 6 months can treble the chance of getting diabetes. So don't listen to all that and do what you feel is best as mummies instincts are almost always right ;)

If you feel your lo is ready you can certainly give it a go! The girls' pediatrician recommended we start with veggies, carrot and pumpkin puree specifically.

Signs that they are ready for weaning are able to sit unaided, able to bring objects to their mouth and loss of tongue thrust reflex.

It is most likely a growth spurt in which case breastmilk will have more calories than solids and baby is trying to increase your supply.

This.

What you're talking about (feeding more often, watching you eat, moving tongue) aren't actually signs of being ready for weaning.

I'd wait.

This.

What you're talking about (feeding more often, watching you eat, moving tongue) aren't actually signs of being ready for weaning.

I'd wait.

I agree. My 11 week LO does all of these things and certainly isn't ready for solids.

Talk to his pediatrician. Evelyn's told me to start her on solids at her 4 month appointment, and she's just a few days younger than your son. He said cereal, then veggies, then fruits. I've been trying to get her to eat some rice cereal, but she hates it about as much as a wet diaper, so I gave her some organic peas (Earth's Best Stage 1 for 4 months+), and she loved it! Even started grabbing the spoon because I wasn't feeding her fast enough. :haha: You know your son best, so if you think he is ready for solids go for it.

Do what you feel is right for your baby. I weaned dd1 early due to reflux and it made a big difference. Dd2 has worse reflux so I plan to slowly wean from 17 weeks.

There are arguments to do it early and some to wait. I don't think inconvenience is a valid reason to wait though. In my opinion.

You should start when you feel your baby is ready. None of us can see him and the signs he's giving you. So if you see and think he's ready, then go for it. I did the same with my daughter and she's a brilliant eater and very slim and has been ill three times in 3 years. I think we started around 5 months.
The guidelines change every year and the last news is that starting at 6 months can treble the chance of getting diabetes. So don't listen to all that and do what you feel is best as mummies instincts are almost always right ;)

second this :)

I just read about that study! My family has a big history with diabetes, so I'm hoping that since she's starting at the age they found reduced the risk of inheriting it she might luck out.

Guidelines regarding weaning do NOT change every year.

I also believe the link with diabetes was based on one study with several confounding variables and little to no external validity.

I've also read with introducing solids 6m+ the allergy risk to certain foods increases. There are a lot of conflicting studies out there. I personally do not believe in waiting until 6 months without further thought. Every baby is different and thus are their needs. Some are better off starting the weaning process sooner than 6 months and who's the best judge of that? Parents and pediatrician. Not an internet forum. And guidelines are just that - guidelines. They are different everywhere too!

Boy, this really seems to be across the board doesn't it? That is why I am so confused LOL!

I love breastfeeding...so it is not for convenience..I really do think he is interested in food.

Even at daycare, when she feeds lunch to the kids, my little man starts to scream as she watches her and snack times too. She even said he sure seems to have interest in food.

I did give him a tsp last night and he opened his mouth wide and LOVED it...big smiles. I gave him a stage 1 blueberry veggie blend.

So the diabetes study said to give before 6 months or after...

I also dont' want it to replace breastfeeding...but he is a tiny boy (less than 10th percentile) and I think extra calories may do him so good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvaAriasmom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->