My baby doesn't talk

keldac

3 mc, 1 angel and 3 lc
Reaction score
I know they all do things in their own time BUT!!!!!....

my others (full term) were talking a lot by now. Mikayla is 18 months old (16 months corrected but they don't seem to correct after 1 year) and just doesn't talk! She babbles (sometimes) and says baba, dadda and hiya. But that is it!

No 'do-do' or 'bye-bye'. She points and screams at everything she wants and seems to get frustrated that she can't tell me what she wants.

I just wondered if any other premmies are slower at talking or whether this is average????

thanks

I cant really tell hunny, but Alex is 10 months corrected and will make moaning noises and oohs but no da-das, ma-mas or nothing as yet (the odd ba - ba)- whereas those of her corrected age are. So it makes me wonder if prematurity is to blame?

Until the last few weeks Molly came out with a new word every now and again, but would only ever say it once then we would never hear it again. Now she is definately speaking more, it just seems to have taken off. I'm sure it will soon for Mikayla too x

Hi there. My first "term" child never spoke a word til he was 3, only babbled incessently. My second prem child (born at 24wks) was saying odd words by 16 months - and incidentally was streets ahead of her older brother in every way.

Don't think the prematurity has anything to do with her speech hun, all kids are different and develop at different rates. THe temptation is to assume they'll have issues due to their prematurity that's all x

Matthew has also said the odd thing once and then never repeats it for weeks the only thing he says repeatedly is 'car' and any vehicle is a car! He is 17 months today so roughly same scenario as Mikalya he communicates more by gesture but get the gist of what he is after im sure it wont be long. We wish away the early phase til they walk and talk and the minute they do we just wish they would sit still and be quiet :wacko: xx

Abby talks incessantly and has many words. But she isn't crawling, or even sitting properly, and nowhere near walking. I'm told you have a walker or a talker. Maybe you've just got a walker.

I never talked til I was about two. Barely a word, then talked in sentences. Thing is, I had an older brother and sister and they talked for me. I never needed to speak, as they got everything I needed and all I did was point!

The only thing that might potentially affect speech is lack of hearing, so as long as that is all checking out ok, you'll probably just have to wait til she is ready.

Abby talks incessantly and has many words. But she isn't crawling, or even sitting properly, and nowhere near walking. I'm told you have a walker or a talker. Maybe you've just got a walker.

I never talked til I was about two. Barely a word, then talked in sentences. Thing is, I had an older brother and sister and they talked for me. I never needed to speak, as they got everything I needed and all I did was point!

The only thing that might potentially affect speech is lack of hearing, so as long as that is all checking out ok, you'll probably just have to wait til she is ready.

thanks for all your replies - its has made me feel a little better!

Yep I;ve got a walker and a climber! Docs said not to be surprised if she didn't walk until she was2 but she did it at 15 months! she's also got an older brother and sister so maybe the same as you. Nothing wrong with her hearing - she understand everything you say to her! :flower:

I would not worry all babies are different and the guide books on what your baby should be doing are rubbish. I have given up worrying. Emily does not say anything, the odd babble and that's it. She moans more than anything.
She also refuses to crawl. You can sit her in a room surrounded by her toys, just out of reach, go out the room for 10 minutes, return and she will still be sitting there having not moved even a centimetre. We have put it down to lazyness not her prematurity as she can cruise if you stand her up and walk with assistance so there is nothing wrong with her.

I guess they will do it in there own time. A midwife said to me you should not push them to grow up too quickly, my jaw dropped when she said that as normally they are badgering you about not doing enough tummy time. Good advice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->