My baby has 2 bumholes!!!

Cat_pj

Reaction score
Well it turns out its a sacral dimple and she might need a scan. I showed it to the HV and I've booked an appointment with the GP. She says its genetic? Anyone else have any experience of this??

I've never heard of it, hope your LO is OK.

I'm sorry but your thread title made me giggle :rofl:

most babys have it, i believe its linked to spina biffida but im not 100% sure. my LO has one and the doctor said they normally go away by 12 months...my Lo still has his so at his 12 month app im going to ask about it.

here is some info:

This is generally what can occur as the spinal column is forming. If the inner tissues of the tube become malformed, the outer layer including the skin may not be smooth. All the other permutations may be true as well. The outside layer may form with some dimples in it which have no effect on the inner layers. And there may be malformation of the inner layers which have no effect on the outer ones. To put it simply, a dimple in the lower back along the spine may be a simple divot in the skin which causes no problems whatsoever, or it may be the sign of malformation in lower layers including the spine and spinal cord.

and some more info:

The problem with this is that, as I stated above, at least two percent of babies may have these pits. That's one in every 50 babies. And almost all of these pits are insignificant when it comes to serious problems or involvement of deeper tissues. Therefore, what do doctors look for to decide who ought to have additional tests to examine the deeper tissues? There are a number of things, but some of them include:

-- Can the floor of the pit or dimple be easily visualized? Divots in which the bottom portion cannot be seen may be evidence of a neural tube that never closed completely.
-- Does the pit have a tuft of hair growing from it? This again make a pit suspicious for deeper involvement.
-- Is the neurologic exam normal? If there is significant involvement of the spinal column, there may be weakness in the legs.
-- How high up on the back is the dimple? Most dimples very low on the back (just above the buttocks) are of little concern. The higher the dimple is, the more likely it is to be associated with defects in deeper tissues.
-- Are there signs of any other defects? The brain, spinal column, kidneys, as well as other structures form at the same time the neural tube closes. Therefore, if there are any malformations in any other parts of the body, it becomes more concerning that the neural tube may be involved as well.

My friends little newborn was born with one. She has just had a scan to check for kidney problems as apparently they are common with this. Little baby is absolutely fine though. Hope yours is too. xxxx Hugs xxx

I've never heard of it, hope your LO is OK.

I'm sorry but your thread title made me giggle :rofl:

Yeah I chose a deliberately provocative title to the thread so I knew people would read it :haha: if I wrote "sacral dimple" I thought I'd get no replies!

Thank you every one! xx

I've got one and its never caused any problems (i'm 31 now)! x

My lo has one, possibly because she's missing her coccyx (tail bone). They did an ultrasound on her spine and sacrum, and everything else is normal. It won't affect her at all!

i always wondered what this was my lo has 1 and my sister whos 24 also dones.

My neice has this and was told that she has spina bifida occulta. THey said it's actually fairly common and most people don't even know they have it until later in life. For example- when they go to have a baby and an epidural and things are not quite in the right spot. Not a big deal though!!

I don't know anything about it hun, but I just wanted to send some :hugs: to my Essex home girl.

Let me know how you and Beth get on though hun.

xx

PS I saw your OH the otherday when he was at work, I kept staring at him as I couldn't remember when I recognised him from at first so he probably thought I was some crazy lady with a pram!
x

I don't know anything about it hun, but I just wanted to send some :hugs: to my Essex home girl.

Let me know how you and Beth get on though hun.

xx

PS I saw your OH the otherday when he was at work, I kept staring at him as I couldn't remember when I recognised him from at first so he probably thought I was some crazy lady with a pram!
x

You saw my OH? Haha! He has one of those faces as well, people always think they know him! In fact I was in Harlow on Monday it was the first time I'd ever been there, I looked out for you on the off chance! xx

Ooh I think my baby has one too! It was never given a name though. She had some issues when I was pregnant/when she was first born so at one of her check ups with the doctor when she was about 3 months old they noticed it. The doc examining her got a more experienced colleague and he had a look, checked how deep it was and said it wasn't a problem and just to keep it clean as it could house lots of bacteria.

I have one and so does LO?
Should i be getting hers checked then?

My mum has a sacral dimple, so do I, and so does Isobel... we definitely prove the hereditary theory correct lol! Isobel has a consultant appointment at 12 weeks to check its sealed off inside (as it wasn't possible to see when she was smaller).

It's never posed a problem for me or my mum, and so far Isobel seems fine and her legs are strong. So hopefully hers will be nothing to worry about.

I'm careful to clean it though, just as you would with other folds and nooks and crannys where dirt and bacteria can build up.

Matthew has 1, we had an ultrasound done on it at birth and it's all fine. We do tick a lot of the boxes that suggest it's something more serious though which is why they were so concerned.

Connor has one too! He had an ultrasound at birth and everything is fine.

Both my kids have them. Otter's is more pronounced than DK's. Several doctors have looked at them, none have ever been worried. Their development has been just fine. :thumbup:

I've got one and so has LO-it's never caused me any problems and LO had an x-ray of her pelvis to check her hips as she was breech and it all looked normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->