**My beautiful Poppy Alexandra's Home Water Birth- 02/01/2010**

RosieandAlan

Mummy to Poppy :)
Reaction score
Well here goes writing my birth story :)

It all began when i was booked in for a sweep with my midwife on 31st December, 5 days overdue. During my appointment my midwife decided that my blood pressure was far too high and i had traces of protein in my urine, and so i was sent straight up to the hospital to be checked out. I panicked obviously and had visions of my home birth being scrapped and having to be induced! However, after two hours of waiting they decided that i was fine and that i could go home, i got the nurse to give me a sweep which she told me looked very promising as i was 2cm dilated and very soft.
I went for a walk around Sainsbury's to try and get things going, and my New Years Eve was filled with irregular tightenings and a bloody show! I even went outside and rubbed my belly under the Blue Moon in the hope that i would go into labour.

I got about two hours sleep that night as the contractions started about 3am and carried on irregularly all morning, i lay in bed and tried to put off getting up for as long as possible. By about 9am they were getting quite painful, i started timing them, they were coming every 5 minutes and lasting about 1-1.5 minutes. I rang the midwife and let her know that i was in labour, and she said to let her know when the pain was unbearable!

The contractions gradually got more painful as the day progressed- i found i spent every single one going into a kind of trance and concentrating on my breathing, and bouncing on my birthing ball. Also one of those lavender heat packs you put in the microwave was fantastic during the early stages.

I rang the midwife about four times because i felt like it was about time someone examined me, but she wasn't available until gone 7pm.
By the time she got here i was in real pain and on examination i was 5cm's dilated with bulging membranes- i remember this making me ridiculously happy because she said if i hadn't dilated far enough i would have to go into the midwife unit!

The on-call midwife arrived at 8pm and with the help of my OH and mum i got through every contraction calmly. I was so relaxed being in my own home and it was so nice not to have to think about going anywhere.
The midwife just sat back and let me get on with it, she did advise that i try some gas and air to see if i liked it and by 10pm i decided it would be worth a try! I loved the stuff, the noise it made when i sucked really gave me something to concentrate on during each contraction. Half an hour later i got into the pool and the second midwife rocked up bearing several more canisters of gas and air!

I felt like everything was perfect, apart from the pain obviously. The midwives and my mum left my OH and i to it in the kitchen, apart from when she was checking Poppy's heartbeat- i had loads of candles on the go and felt completely relaxed and at ease, i kind of went into my own little world. That was until my gas and air canister ran out and they took about 30 minutes to get another one going as it had frozen in the cold- i don't know what i would have done without my OH as he really calmed me down and helped me breath through it.

I really don't remember too much about the next 3 hours, i know it was agony but i was completely in my own little world (i'm sure the gas and air helped with this :)), and my OH keeps remembering lots of crazy stuff i was babbling on about which i didn't have a clue i said! Apparently i was doing breast stroke for a while, i must have looked a bit bizarre.

My midwife got me out of the pool at 1.30am for another examination, i was fully dilated and she decided to break my waters to speed things up a bit, it took her aaages because apparently they were really tough- it's amazing to think that all happened on my sofa and there is no evidence of it whatsoever :).

I got back into the water and i was told that i would probably need to start pushing very soon. Half an hour later low and behold i felt like i needed a massive poo just as everyone says! What everyone doesn't say is that it is absolute agony. I had to give the gas and air a rest so that i knew when to push and it was such a bloody weird feeling when her head popped out and i was waiting for the next contraction! I sounded like some sort of possessed animal when i was pushing so for those of you having a home birth i suggest that you warn your neighbours in advance :).

I was only pushing for 12 minutes- It was the most beautiful, amazing moment when she 'shot' out of me (according to OH) and was put onto my chest, i was in absolute awe of her and couldn't believe that she was finally there- she screamed and screamed and was given an apgar score of 9 at one minute and 10 at five minutes. OH cut the cord and held her while i was put onto the sofa to deliver the placenta! I didn't need any stitches which i was pretty damn happy about!

After the birth i luckily had my mum there to empty the pool for us, and the midwives only stayed for 30 minutes, Poppy took to breastfeeding immediately and we were left to begin a completely new life with our baby in the warmth of our own home- it was perfect :D.

Poppy weighed 8lbs 1oz, born at 2.13am on 02/01/2010 and she is amazing :)

https://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/RosieandAlan_album/DSC_0512.jpg

It was such a bloody weird feeling when her head popped out and i was waiting for the next contraction!

She's beautiful - congrats! :flower:

I also had a waterbirth and know where you are coming from re the above. It is probably the only time during the labour that I actually started to panic as the wait for the next contraction seemed to take forever and ever. I knew she wouldn't take a breath but the fact her head was underwater was really freaking me out :wacko:

brill story congratulations. I hope my home birth turns out as well as yours!

Aww shes beautiful. Congrats

Wow, what an amazing birth and what a beautiful little girl!! Congratulations honey xxxx

Look at her little knit sweater. Its too cute! She is gorgeous!!!

Wonderful story :D I hope my home birth is as good as yours sounds.

She's gorgeous :cloud9:

Congratulations, sounds like you had a great time! Shes gorgeous x

She is so cute I wanna cuddle her :hugs: congrats huni glad you had such a positive experience and thanks for telling your story xx

I am in the ttc but I love reading about the birth storys and knowing that it is possible to have a nice experience xxx

awwww big congrats hunni shes beautiful xxx love her name xxxx well done xxxx:)

How perfect!! Congrats! And i LOVE the name :) xx

Wow what a brilliant story.. thank you.
You made me laugh when you talked about your OH telling you, you were doing the breast-stroke in the pool!! - I had a similar experiance; my OH later told me about my frogs legs!
Also I totally agree about the funny noise the gas and air makes.. I had forgotten about that too!!
Little Poppy is beautiful!!! Well done on your home water birth, you must be so proud. It's wonderful to have other stories on here which don't start "Traumatic!" lol.
Many congratulations
xxxx
p.s if you find the time, check out the homebirthers and hopefuls group - your experiance and encourangement would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->