My birth plan. bit long lol.

Expecting1

Reaction score
Hi Ladies, I just wrote up my birth plan, I really feel like I've forgotten something :shrug:

Birth Plan.
Mum to be: Rachel, NON Religious.
Dad to be/Support person: Jamie “James”, NON Religious.
Baby (Star of the show): Tanner James Kent.

LABOUR-
• Speak LOUD, I can’t hear well & whispering annoys me.
• I do not want to be restricted to a bed.
• Freedom of positions, use of bath, birth stool.
• Freedom to eat/drink.
• IV – Okay.
• Teaching patient – Okay.
• Labour to progress naturally NO A.R.M or Oxytocin unless emergency.
• James to be present at all times & included in everything.
• Nudity is no issue, I do not require privacy during changes/exams/baths/showers.
• Written notices of labour progression eg. __CM dilated in __Hours.

PAIN MANAGEMENT-
• Please don’t offer, I will ask.
• Gas/Air only.
• Pethidine/Morphine/Fentanyl ONLY if emergency.
• NO epidural. ONLY if EMCS is required.

DELIVERY/BIRTH-
• Unless otherwise stated – continued use of Gas/Air.
• I do not want to be draped with sheets, unless cold and requested.
• I prefer to tear rather than episiotomy.
• NO assistance in birth – Suction/Oxytocin unless emergency.
• James to cut cord. NO delay necessary.
• I wish to donate cord blood if available. If not available, dispose.
• Skin-to-skin ASAP.
• Tanner to be examined whilst on my chest.
• Assisted placenta delivery – Syntocinon, During skin-to-skin with me.
• Unless stated at time - As much ‘support’ (company) as possible during Skin-to-skin and establishing Breast Feeding.
• AFTER my initial bonding/delivery of placenta/established breast feeding – James is to be offered Skin-To-Skin BEFORE Tanner is taken to be weighed/examined.
• Tanner to be examined in my presence, if not available – James is to remain with Tanner AT ALL TIMES. Tanner is NEVER, unless emergency, to be out of either one of our sights.
• I wish to shower ASAP after my initial bonding/breast feeding is established.

POST-NATAL-
• I wish to use the sanitary pads provided by the hospital.
• I wish Tanner to be first bathed by James and Myself if possible.
• Tanner is not to be given dummy, formula or sugar water unless discussed with BOTH James and Myself first.
• Tanner is to remain in my presence at all times – especially at night.
• Tanner is to have Vitamin K Injection. NOT orally.
• I wish Tanner to have any and all regular Vaccines & Examinations provided by the hospital.
• Tanner is to be handed to James BEFORE Me whenever possible – From cot/Midwife to James to Me.

 
Have I forgotten something??? Or do you have something you think would make a good addition??
Thank you :flower:

That is a lot of stuff. Does it ask you to put religion? I started doing mine and it was getting long and someone said the longer you make it the less chance there is of someone reading it. I was well miffed off.
Im going through my birth plan with my midwife on Monday and the section for it in my notes is actually quite small.

On all the forms we've seen so far from our hospital it's asked if there is religious preference and ethnicity, I just don't want to be asked TBH lol. I was thinking of breaking it up, Giving the Midwives the Labour & pain management parts, then while we're just waiting, handing over the Delivery/Part. And Hubs can hand over the Post Natal part after everything dies down.
Our notes don't really give us much of an option, they're just the very basic. Before I was very non-preference about anything other than NO epidural but at our prenatal class the Midwife said to go for it lol. If the Midwifes don't really read it, I'll have it for me anyway so I can just say what I want I guess :shrug: lol.

that sounds like a good birth plan to me, you aren't expecting too much so odds are that your plan will go ahead :) x

My experience is that my MWs read the whole 2 A4 sides of my birth plan - and followed it pretty much to the letter. I suppose that it may be different because it was a HB and I was so calm, so they kind of didn't have anything better to do! I worked on the principal that if I didn't write it then they certainly wouldn't read it, whereas if I did write it then not only was there a high chance that they would read it, but also I really looked at everything carefully. Having said that, I did leave it until I was 37+5 to start to write it and I went into labour at 37+7 so there were still bits that were geared toward the US birthing system (I'd nicked an original from this forum I think) which I hadn't had a chance to take out. When I printed it I just put the un-checked sections in "?"s so that they could see that I knew it wasn't really applicable.
There have been a couple of threads on birth plans just recently, so I'll try to post my plan somewhere just in case it helps anyone, especially anyone planning a Natal Hypnotherapy home birth.

Sounds similar to mine, although I used the template one from the NHS website. I don't think there's anything missing. Most important things are pain relief and aftercare which you've covered :)

Sounds similar to mine, although I used the template one from the NHS website. I don't think there's anything missing. Most important things are pain relief and aftercare which you've covered :)

I'd like to look at this template...what's the website? :)

I think really the main reason I wrote it is because of the things I DON'T want rather than the things I want.... And also for myself (I printed me and hubs a copy) so that in case I may have forgotten my own preference on something, we can look it up :haha:.

solitaire89- I'd love to read yours, could you also highlight if there was something you weren't allowed, flip-flopped on, or generally wasn't an issue in the heat of the moment?

I'm still on the fence about if I'm going to give a birth plan to the nurses at the hospital but your birth plan did encourage me to write one. If anything, at least I'LL know what I want and don't want and how I feel about things.

I got a few good ideas off this site :)
https://www.bubhub.com.au/info/articles/birth-labour/birth_plan_template.shtml

I'm still on the fence about if I'm going to give a birth plan to the nurses at the hospital but your birth plan did encourage me to write one. If anything, at least I'LL know what I want and don't want and how I feel about things.

Yep! I've put in about written notices about progression because I'm afraid I won't remember.. the same with my preferences! and I'm worried just telling hubs wont be enough, that he'll forget too :haha:

Yeah, and I definitely want to show DH so HE knows what I want and what I expect as well so even if the nurses never see my birth plan, he'll know what to do!

I'd like to look at this template...what's the website? :)

It's a UK website but I'm sure most things on the template are the same :) x

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/birth-plan.aspx

Looking at it now...thanks!

Whatre the benefits of using Syntocinon/having an assisted placenta delivery? Its not something Ive really thought about!

That's the one I used. NHS choices isn't it. Did you have to sign up to save it? We don't have a printer at mo so ive hand written it maybe that's why everyone thought it was long.

Whatre the benefits of using Syntocinon/having an assisted placenta delivery? Its not something Ive really thought about!

It's really just to speed up the process. Breast feeding and the initial skin-to-skin also helps it along but I'd rather not have to worry about it. And also it's there so I don't have to worry about the process taking too long, the Midwife said if the uterus starts to contract back to normal size, it can trap the placenta behind the cervix so I'd rather it be there so the Midwife can just give me a jab if it's not moving along fast enough.

solitaire89- I'd love to read yours, could you also highlight if there was something you weren't allowed, flip-flopped on, or generally wasn't an issue in the heat of the moment?

Yip - will do later this evening :)

The biggest "flip-flop" off the top of my head was the birth pool, which we'd painstakingly set up in the dining room. I wanted DD to be born in the pool, but after I'd been in there an hour I decided that I just wasn't comfortable in there - it wasn't a problem at all to change though.

There wasn't anything that was refused.

I'll fish it and my birth story out later!

Yip - will do later this evening :)

The biggest "flip-flop" off the top of my head was the birth pool, which we'd painstakingly set up in the dining room. I wanted DD to be born in the pool, but after I'd been in there an hour I decided that I just wasn't comfortable in there - it wasn't a problem at all to change though.

There wasn't anything that was refused.

I'll fish it and my birth story out later!

Thanks heaps! It's after midnight here so I think I'll be reading it tomorrow lol.
xx

Yours looks great :)

I haven't written one as thought it was something the MW did with you, but so far she hasn't mentioned it and I'm 38 weeks plus. I'm thinking I might download the NHS one and stick it in my yellow notes.

Good luck everyone, hope we all get the births we want :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->