My birth story! *long

Kimmer

Mummy to a beautiful baby
Reaction score
This took me so long to write.. and even longer to post on here!
But here it is.. (pictures at the bottom of th page..if you can't be bothered to read :rofl:)

So on May 30th, baby’s due date, I had a phone call from the community midwife to arrange a sweep for that morning!
I had started the day off being really worried about her movement. From 5am till 7am I was trying to get her to move.. I couldn’t, no matter what I did.
I decided to ring the emergency midwife number after a bit of a sleep. (I do regret going back to sleep, but she was moving a bit just before I fell asleep)
But as it turns out, the community midwife rang me before I woke up. She arranged to come to my house and give me a sweep for half an hour later (at 11am). Luckily, as soon as i woke up, baby started moving as usual.
The internal exam showed I was already 3cm dilated and fully effaced! That was a total shock as I’d been completely fine up until then, no pains at all! After the sweep she put me at between 3-4cm dilated. Then it was just a waiting game.

It didn’t take long at all and I was getting pains as soon as she finished. I wasn’t convinced it was actually anything.. because it was nothing like I expected. I only had a pain in my back, not even an ache-like pain, just a bad pain.
After about 2 hours or so of them going, me, my husband and my mum were able to time the pains. We quickly noticed they were every 2 to 4 minutes apart. My mum rang the maternity unit and they told us to come straight in.
I was trying to put it off, telling them I’m not in labour and to just relax. I was fine at home, just bouncing on my birthing ball and browsing the internet.
Mum and Simon managed to convince me to go into the hospital, so we made up some food and off we went.
When I got there, we were put in our own little room. I just sat on the bed waiting for someone to come into us. I told the midwife she hadn’t been moving much that day, so she strapped a heartbeat and contraction monitor to my tummy to keep an eye on baby. I still wasn’t actually convinced I was in labour, so I felt quite guilty for being there. After about half an hour or so a nurse came in to examine me. She said I was still 4cm dilated, that upset me a bit cause we were pretty sure I would’ve progressed a bit more than that.

About two hours passed, just sitting on the bed talking to Simon and mum.
When I was examined again, I was 5cm . The midwife offered me gas and air. I didn’t need pain relief, but I’d heard gas and air is fun, so I decided to go for it. It was really fun! I remember laughing my head off, saying silly things.. generally having a great time.
I had a midwife sitting in the room all the time with me, at that point I had no idea why she wasn’t leaving. She was just watching the trace that was being done and kept writing in my maternity notes. She told me to eat something to see if baby would ‘stop being quite so sleepy’. So I had a cheese roll and some water. I thought everything was fine because no one was telling me otherwise. I realised things obviously weren’t great when a doctor came in the room. She said my baby was a bit ‘sleepy’ and she had to take some blood from baby’s head to check her oxygen levels. This scared the hell out of me.. mainly cause it sounded really painful. The doctor put my legs in stirrups and began doing the oxygen test. It was three really long metal tubes with huge metal needle type things on the end. She had to make a scratch on babies head and take three blood samples.
She said if the levels are low, I’d be taken to theatre for a c-section.
The results from that took 5 minutes. The doctor came back and said the results were actually very good so she was happy to let me carry on as I was.

A different midwife came in and broke my waters to see if that would hurry things up. That was very uncomfortable, but her stretching the sack was a lot worse. It felt like there was a bag of gravel inside me. She was then trying to determine the babies position. After what seemed like 10 minutes of digging around, she said baby was back to back. She told me this would make labour longer and birth harder… Great!. So I lay flat on my back with my legs in stirrups, this made the contractions 100 times worse, MUCH worse than anything I’d had before. I couldn’t see what was going on, but I could feel everything. The results of that test came back after 5 minutes, thankfully they were apparently brilliant, so I was left to get on with it. I still had the midwife next to me the whole time.

The next time I was examined, I was 7cm dilated. That’s when I asked for the epidural.
As the anethstatist was cleaning my back for the epidural, I had another VERY bad contraction, I remember thinking I couldn’t take another one that bad.
I had the three numbing injections into my back, then he put the epidural in. Almost as soon as he was done, I had another contraction. That one was much easier. I got back into a comfortable position on the bed and started to relax. I was watching the contraction/heart rate monitor and seeing when I was having contractions. I could still feel something, but it only felt like braxton hicks and it was only under my right ribs.

The doctor came back in and said she wanted to do another blood oxygen level test on baby (This was 3 hours after the last one) I was okay with it this time, because I’d had the epidural.
So they put my legs up again and began. This time it took a lot longer. I closed my eyes for a few seconds, when I opened them again there were loads more doctors and nurses in the room. I had so many people all crowded around me, it freaked me out a bit. No one was talking to me, but they were all chattering doctor-speak to each other.
I looked over to Simon, he just smiled at me. At this point my mum had gone home to see to our dogs.
We then had to wait for the results from the second Blood oxygen test. The doctor said she wasn’t happy with the second result. I’m still confused about what exactly was wrong. She said something about the test machine not working or the levels being low or something. So I was told I needed the emergency C-section.
My heart sank, but I was surprisingly fine. I was taken down to theatre really quickly.
I had all the stuff put into my epidural to numb me properly for surgery . Before I knew it, the surgeon said she was starting.
I was really surprised about how it felt. I could feel everything, but it didn’t hurt. There was lots of tugging and pulling. Not long after it started, a doctor said “does daddy want to watch?” So Simon jumped up and saw them taking her out. I heard Sim0n say “Wow!”, seconds later I heard the baby scream her head off. Me and Simon both started crying. She was taken to get cleaned up and assessed. She was fine so was wrapped up and handed to Simon.

A doctor told me my mum was outside so I told Simon to take the baby to see her. I was getting stitched up for an hour so it was ages before I was taken to the recovery room and could hold my baby.
Bit of a rough ride, but I’d do it again in an instant. She’s amazing and we can’t believe how lucky we are.
She was born at 8:48pm on May 30th. She weighed 8lb 1 and ¾oz:cloud9:

3 minutes old
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/xkimmerx/P30-05-10_2051.jpg

3 weeks I think
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/xkimmerx/P01-07-10_1652.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/xkimmerx/P02-07-10_211901.jpg

congatulations hun she is beautiful love the name.xx

oh my, i read the entire story and the second time they went to check her oxygen I started to worry myself, but i'm glad everything went well and she is truly precious

oh my, i read the entire story and the second time they went to check her oxygen I started to worry myself, but i'm glad everything went well and she is truly precious

Aww thank you! Well done for reading it, I can't even be bothered to read it again :rofl:

Well worth reading. I got a little worried at one point too. Never heard of taking oxygen from the baby's head before!

Your daughter is absolutely glorious. Many congratulations.

she's just beautiful! Glad to hear that everything turned out ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->