My birth story - Welcome to the world Harry George Doherty 14/1/10

Mrs Dot

Mummy to Harry
Reaction score
Well after a month with my little man I think it's about time that I wrote my birth story!

After being stuck in the house due to the amount of snow we had early January, that had turned to ice, I was 4 days overdue and going a little bit stir crazy! They say that going for walks helps to bring on overdue babies but I didn't want to risk slipping on the pavements near our house with it being so icy. I managed to go into town shopping and walked about ten circuits of the shopping centre before I even went into a shop!!!

Still no sign that night so the day after I went for a sweep at my 9am midwife appointment (13.1.10). My darling husband joked and said he hoped that it didn't work as he didn't want it being born on the 13th! By this point I couldn't care less about the date! Was so fed up being overdue I'd have had it there and then! At the appointment the midwife told me I was 1cm dilated and fully effaced, and couldn't believe that I hadn't had any pains at all with this, and joked about my pain threshold being quite high!

So DH went back to work after the appointment, I went home and through pure boredom, cleaned the whole house yet again and baked a cake! The girls from my work popped at lunchtime to keep me company and I waved them off at 1pm. At about 14:30 (whilst chatting on here!) started getting period type pain, but just assumed it was because of the sweep, as the midwife had said I could get some af type pains. An hour later they had been coming and going quite regularly, so decided to time them! 10-12 mins apart!!!:dohh:

Sent DH a text telling him not to freak out and that I thought this could be it and he came home from work at his usual time. By about 5.30 pm they were getting pretty regular at 8-10 mins apart, so I decided to ring the hospital. They told me to stay at home as my waters hadn't gone, the usual 2 paracetamol and a bath lark, (er.... what is the point of that exactly?!!!!) wait until they were 4 mins apart and then ring again.

So from that point I rode each contraction kneeling over my birth ball on the living room floor, trying to focus on each contraction as it happened. I have to admit they weren't as bad as I'd imagined, obviously during each one it hurt! I won't deny it, but being so focused really helped me get through each one. Had a bath but it was so uncomfy so stood under the shower for about half an hour, then finished packing my bag between each contraction.

Dh meanwhile was timing them on contractionmaster.com and got extremely excited when they hit the 4 1/2 minute mark!!! I was busy drying my hair and putting some slap on!!! Can't believe I was bothered at the time but it took my mind off it and I think it helped as it kept things feeling 'normal'!!!haha: So rang the hospital and they told me to go up. Dh dropped me off at the door whilst he went to park and his car park ticket said 11:39 pm, was determined to walk up to the delivery suite, which in our hospital is a long way from the main entrance as it's been rebuilt recently! Had 2 more contractions on the corridor, and DH has since told me that he was really worried that I was going to give birth there and then!!! Walked in to be greeted by the midwife trying to be funny by saying 'So do you think you're in labour?' ! How I didn't punch her I have no idea!!!! Instead I calmly asked her if the pool was free and she led us into the room adjoining it.

By this point I was 4cm dilated but I really felt like I needed to push, this was met with a big fat 'No you're not ready yet' which made me feel crap as the pressure was just so intense. He'd also gone back to back so had to sit upright on the edge of the bed to get him to turn - not comfy!!! I started on the gas and air which was horrible, but kept telling myself to stick at it as I'd been told how crap it makes you feel at first, and after a few minutes it kicked in :wacko: It made me feel like I was underwater ( possibly because I could hear the pool filling up in the next room!!!) and everyone was really far away!!! loved it though!

Next thing I knew I'm saying that I needed to push again and leant to one side on the bed - midwife says no don't and my waters go!!! She then examines me and says to DH - 'can you push that button on the wall?!' He said at this point he freaked out because he thought something was really wrong!!! The second midwife came in, 'said are we ok?' apparently looked at me and said 'crikey! you're a fast worker!' I had fully dilated and it was only 00:15!!!!

After what seemed like about ten minutes, tops, to me, he crowned and she told me to take 3 small breaths to get the head out, DH says I literally breathed in and Harry came out completely!!! All I can recall of it was just a total feeling of release and warmth as he came out. Then they put him on my chest straight away and DH stood with his hands on his head next to me in utter shock that it had all happened so quickly! So didn't get the water birth as I wanted - the nicer of the 2 midwives joked that I'd have been paddling in it because he came so quickly!

They gave me the injection to deliver the placenta and I think I was quite rude when she asked me if I wanted to see it and I abruptly answered 'No - I don't!' back to her! Tbh I didn't like the midwife from the start so I wasn't really bothered if I offended her!!!

So, Harry George arrived at 00:58 on Thursday 14th January 2010, weighing 7lb 2oz after what I know to be an extremely quick and lucky labour for my first one. He is absolutely perfect, I love him and my DH more than I ever thought I could and it was well worth the wait and pain!!!

Afterwards DH took him over to the window to meet his grandma (my mum)who is no longer with us - this was so lovely and I cried tears of every emotion possible at that moment. Dh is amazing with him as well and I cannot believe how blessed I am to have them both.

I want to thank all of the ladies on here who were with us on our Pregnancy journey as I don't think I could've done it without you all!! The advice, support and laughs I've had from you lot has been invaluable and I hope this continues in Baby club and next time round on the pregnancy forums (if I'm mad enough to do it all again!!!)

Thanks for reading ladies!

Kirsty xxx

Congrats on the speedy birth of little Harry! (I'm Kirsty too!)

fantastic, wht a great story, really made me look forward to my labour, so thank you :)

Congratulations on the birth of baby harry xx

He is absolutely gorgeous! I bet you are so proud.

CONGRATULATIONS

xx

Hi Kirsty,

That is the most amazing birth story. Congrats to you on the birth of your gorgeous little boy

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->