My boy is here! Positive natural birth.

niffster

Reaction score
First baby was 11 years ago, birth was 37 hours in total, needed oxytocin, waters breaking, epidural, all in all was traumatic. This time - wow! What a difference!

Summary
My yellow bump turned blue on his due date weighing in at 9lb 3oz.
Did most of the first stage at home.
Second and third stage in hospital.
No pain relief until I was pushing although I wouldn't have minded it sooner lol

Full Story

I had been having random contractions and twinges for a couple of weeks before the birth, and started losing mucus a few days before. When you have twinges you think "omg this is it!" but i'd been having them so long with nothing definite happening that I had started thinking that I would never give birth. Which ofc is ridiculous, but I am sure some of you ladies have felt the same :)

Anyway on Thursday night I started to have very mild contractions every 25 minutes or so, but I thought nothing would come of them so i went to bed a little while later.At 4am on Friday morning I woke up with a considerably stronger contraction. More came roughly every 10 minutes. They were not very painful, only uncomfortable. At around 5am I texted my OH (who was working nights) to say: We are having a baby today!

He immediately phoned me and asked if he should come home. I told him not to rush as thesee things take time and that I was comfortable for now.
The contractions were increasing in intensity so i ran a bath and took 2 paracetamol. My OH arrived home at around 5:45 to find me moaning in the bath. I was too busy concentrating on my breathing to time my contractions so I asked him to do it.

When he told me I had had 3 contractions in 9 minutes lasting 1 minute each I couldn't believe it! I thought things would progress much more slowly.
By 6am I couldn't cope with being on my back in the bath anymore and got out so that i could walk around. Between contractions I texted my mum to tell her I was in labour. It took me about 10 minutes to type out 5 words on my phone because the contractions were coming so quickly.

My OH phoned the hospital at around 6:30 and they told him that I should come in, but we had to wait for my mum to arrive and pick up my 10 yr old, who had woken by this point. She was quite upset to hear me in pain, but between contractions I reassured her.

Mum arrived at 7am and we started to make our way to hospital. I was in a lot of pain by this point. I was moaning and saying "i don't like this!" "please make it stop". The hospital is only 15 minutes away but it was a very unpleasant journey having to sit still, and the road bumps - omg they were horrible.

At hospital I vaguely remember contracting a couple of times at reception, then again in the lift with the porter, then again in the waiting room and toilet. I remember feeling pissed off because things were taking so long and I just wanted drugs. I asked pretty much everyone in a nurses uniform for drugs. I was eventually examined at about 7:45 and was told i was 6cm.
The dialogue then went as follows:
Me: Can i have some drugs now?!!
MW: Have you considered using water for pain relief?
Me: Yes but i wanna PUUUUUSSSSSHHH!! *me pushing*
The midwives moved so fast. I was in a wheelchair and they were running me down the corridor to delivery suite, I was pushing all the way and shouting "i need a poo!". The urge to push is unbelievably strong and impossible to ignore and I did end up pooing. I was more embarrased about this than they were.

Once in delivery suite i finally got my gas and air and it was absolutely amazing. The relief was indescribable. Once i needed to push, the contractions seem to be less frequent and it's actually almost pleasurable to be at that stage compared to 1st stage.
My son was born in about 10 pushes, half of which my body did by itself. I breathed the head out thanks to my excellent midwife's instructions. The shoulders must have hurt more because apparently i shouted "jesus christ!!" at the top of my voice hehe.

He was born pale and didn't breathe for 3 minutes. Scored 2 on APGAR after 1 minute, but scored 9 after 5mins.
He was 9lbs 3oz and I didn't need any stiches, only got a small graze.

Re: waters. I thought they hadn't broken when i got to hospital, but after the birth the midwife told me that they had gone before I had been seen at the hospital, so gawd knows when they went! I had been trickling for a while 2 weeks previously, but i thought it was wee, it could have been waters. Alternatively, they could have gone in the bath when i was in labour.

It was a great experience and I would do it again tomorrow!

If anyone has any Q's feel free to ask and i'll answer.
Will add some photos later

Well done you! I read this out to my DH he was well impressed!!! He is fully expecting me to take a poo during delivery :blush: he he!!

What did it feel like when you first contracted- you said they werent painful...were they like BH? xxx

The 20 minute apart ones were like mild period pains.
They do get more painful, but staying at home for as long as possible was great because you can writhe around if you need to and make a noise without being self-conscous. And you can potter about to distract yourself between contractions and in the early stages.

I hope your labour goes quickly, it will hurt, but when it's fast it's so so much easier than when it's drawn out. Best of luck and don't worry about the poo thing, it will be the least of your worries at the time and it's something to laugh about afterwards :D

Congratulations. Your birth story is so positive it sounds like you had a wonderful experience xx

congrats on your baby boy! Well done on a positive natural birth.

Huge congrats! I love reading such positive birth stories x x

Congratulations. I know exactly what you mean about the pushing contractions being easier to cope with than the dilating contractions.. they really do a lot of the work for you and hurt that bit less. Women's bodies are incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->