My c-section: how long it all took

minties

Complete
Reaction score
I see lots of ladies asking how long a c-section takes on here. I've got my hospital notes and thought I'd write up my own experience.

I had a c-section 1st December 2010, for fetal distress and fetal intollerance to augmented labour. It was labled an emergency c-section, though there were no life-threatening cicumstances and I wasn't rushed off. It was a couple of hours from deciding to have one and when it actually happened.

I already had an epidural placed at 10:30am.

Here is how it reads on my notes:

13:50 - Regional block placed (this was something added to my epidural line in a small room outside the theater)
13:51 -Patient in room (they transfered me to the operating table a few minutes later)
14:03 - Anaesthesia ready
14:03 - Block height TS bilateral to ice. T4 bilateral to touch, bilateral motor block (they rubbed me all over with bits of ice to see how the block was working)
Other: Warmed fluid
Other: Urinary catheter checked
Position: Supine
Position: 15 degrees lateral tilt
Position: Arms on board (they attached a constant BP cuff and I had to keep my arms relaxed and on the table)
Cannulation: IV 16g/5Fr right arm (fluids as I was dehydrated)
Airway: natural
Ventilation: Spontaneous
14:12 - Surgery start
14:21 - Delivery
14:40 - Surgery end
14:47 - Complete (had checked me for pain, and given pain meds through the IV in that 7 minutes).

So the surgery part was really fast! It felt like hours while I was lying there though.

There were 9 people in the room including my midwife and my partner. They were all fantastic lovely people.

I was in recovery by 14:52 and breastfed right away (was latching him as I was wheeled off), so only just over 30 minutes from when he was delivered.

In recovery I had my blood pressure, temperature, oxygen saturation and respitory rate checked A LOT. That was annoying. I felt really shivery and cold. They also kept running ice over me to see how the spinal was wearing off.

So I think that's all the technical stuff covered, I didn't list the drugs used but can do if anyone wants.

I think I had a pretty normal and straight forward c-section. If anyone else wants to add from their notes or experince, that would be cool! :thumbup:

I had my notes and a debrief today. Needed emcs due to failure to progress past 8cm, fetal and maternal distress and id also developed a 'severe infection.' I laboured 87 hours in total before having the c section. Mine reads as follows:

3:00am decision for an emergency c section
3:20am arrived in theatre
3:27am. knife to skin
3:28am. knife to uterus
3:28am. baby delivered
3:29am. placenta delivered
4:05am. out of theatre into recovery room
5:10am. admitted to ward

Thanks for adding your experience as well. They really are a fast procedure. While I was having mine I was sure it took an hour to get stitched, obviously not!

I don't have my notes but I did look at the board whilst I was being wheeled to recovery. I got into the theatre at 11am.

Knife to skin: 11.41am
Delivery: 11.51am

I was then wheeled to recovery at 12.30pm.

The actual surgery is crazy quick but I was in the theatre for 1.5 hours.

Mine was elective.

im not sure about my notes but went in about half 12ish i think im not sure but he was born at 01.23 and best minutes of my life,, they said because baby is emergency section dont be alarmed if it doesnt cry,, i wasnt worried but he screamed his head off lol, my little man was welcomed into the world by the midwife then i managed to touch him wih my fingers due to way i was laid on bed,, got a photo of that in livng room its our 1st family pic,, all the stress was worth it xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->