My Daughter Has APD

cooper2010

Reaction score
My daughter just got diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder. She is 8 and for the past 3 years we knew something was wrong that was making it hard for her to do well in school. Well, now that we know she actually does have a disability I am not sure how I feel about it. I am sad that she has this disorder and that she will struggle and need extra help but at the same time I am relieved to know that there is something going on with her.

We have a meeting with the school in 2 weeks and I'm pretty anxious about it. I just dont know what to expect and I am pretty worried that I will end up having a panic attack that day and not be able to sit through the meeting.

It's probably an IEP (individualized education plan). Basically, they go over your child's strengths, weaknesses, and future goals and how to achieve those goals. Sometimes, I find the goals to be pretty stupid...and I used to get mad. But, I think we know our children best, and for them, they only see a bit, and children act differently at school!!! So, now I just leave it. My daughter (who has Pervasive Development Disorder) has come leaps and bounds, and it is amazing how much she has transformed with help at school. There has been a mean teacher, and some struggles getting the right help for my daughter, and here is a word you need to research: ADVOCATE. Because you need to learn this word, learn how to do it, and make sure your voice is heard when it needs to be. That can be scary, but it is worth it. Come on over to the special needs section. There is lots of us over there with various 'dissabilities' and everyone is very supportive. Questions I would ask your school is what kind of support will your child receive (support aid, speech, occupational therapist)? In what instances (all day, certain parts of the day)? This should be a pretty good meeting. I don't think you need to worry about it. Our school gives a few a year. If you have questions, write them down and bring them. Also...remember...no matter what the 'diagnosis', your child will always be your baby, and a diagnosis will never change that! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->