my daughter is 5

Does anyone with kids at school know what happens about homework? If our kid are unable to do it because of language etc do they just not do it?

They should give your children appropriate homework for their development. The school my two go to issues homework at the level they are at. My son (in year 3) isn't delayed but I know for a fact that his homework can be different to others in his class.

Esther is nearly 5 months into her schooling. Her homework is pitched just above her ability level. We have reading books which are the lowest band. To start off with we read the book to her and showed her the pictures. Then she started pointing out things in the pictures that she knew the words to. Then she started pointing at the words and asking what they were. She now tells me the letters that she knows-probably about 8 letters so far that she recognises.
She also gets sheets home with the letter of the week on it. She will colour in the specific letter and that's about it but there is more on the sheet to do, she just can't do it.

Honesty the teachers know what to expect from the child. I know it's a worry. We spent all summer convienced we'd made a mistake sending her to mainstream but she's been fine. The gap isn't closing up but she is improving little by little. 5 months ago I would never of said she'd know 8 letters by sight and the numbers 1-8. It doesn't seem much when all the others know so much more but compared with what she did know it's huge.

I've just been with her teacher going through her targets for the next few months. One is for her to be able to write the E, S and T for the start of her name! It doesn't sound much really.

School is a two way thing-you need to be talking to the school as soon as you get offered the school place in order to make sure they know what's going on. We even spoke to staff at the school before she'd had the place confirmed as we were applying for a statement so we knew we'd be bike to change our minds if the school didn't present itself well.

Agree. I already have weekly contact with his secondary x

I used to feel like I was being one of those annoying parents that feels the need to talk to the teacher about nothing important. Now I feel it's an important part of the school week.
They send a book home each day with various bits of info in it so I know what's been going on.

I had this last year, my daughter started school in September and I was dreading it as she only turned 4 at the end of August so is the youngest in her year as well as being delayed. I feel sad when I see the others having lengthy conversations that she can't join in with but she's done really really well, her speech has progressed a lot but she's still behind the others with her speech as well as reading and writing - but she's coping and enjoying it so I feel that at this age that's a major achievement in itself.

It's scary but these kids are so amazing. x

Amy what type of delays does your daughter have? Im freaking out for her going to school so pleased she will be one of the older ones x

Just wanted to share with you something that came out of Esther's review from school.
Currently she is in a little group for things like phonics. Obviously this group is for those that are really struggling at the moment although Esther is the only one with any delays etc. she is doing ok in this group. However we were advised that in all likelyhood the gap between her and her peers will widen dramatically over the next couple of years. Then hopefully over the following years she will catch up although may never catch up totally.
It's sounds awful when you hear it put like that but I'd rather know now that we're looking at a bigger gap than there is currently in a few years time rather than it being a shock.
We are prepared (as much as you can be) for the fact that at done point we may need to take her out of mainstream.
It obviously depends in the nature of the delay as to what actually happens. Some children will catch up anyway quite quickly once they are in school. Given that Esther still needs to learn how to talk consistently in proper sentances then she's likely to fall behind because her school day has a lot less actual schooling than her peers.

Just wanted to share with you something that came out of Esther's review from school.
Currently she is in a little group for things like phonics. Obviously this group is for those that are really struggling at the moment although Esther is the only one with any delays etc. she is doing ok in this group. However we were advised that in all likelyhood the gap between her and her peers will widen dramatically over the next couple of years. Then hopefully over the following years she will catch up although may never catch up totally.
It's sounds awful when you hear it put like that but I'd rather know now that we're looking at a bigger gap than there is currently in a few years time rather than it being a shock.
We are prepared (as much as you can be) for the fact that at done point we may need to take her out of mainstream.
It obviously depends in the nature of the delay as to what actually happens. Some children will catch up anyway quite quickly once they are in school. Given that Esther still needs to learn how to talk consistently in proper sentances then she's likely to fall behind because her school day has a lot less actual schooling than her peers.

Thanks for sharing this. It is quite upsetting to think the gap will widen when your working so hard on closing that gap. have they put an age on where her speech and language is?

I find it hard with the gap too. M is now 10 and it is obvious thay he needs more help and has less independance!

I know. She's working her socks off with her speech and language stuff on top of her normal school stuff and yet she won't catch up yet. But I definitely prefer knowing what's likely to happen.

She's (as all the children are) assessed constantly and her speech consistently falls in the 30-50months (2yrs 4mths-4yrs 2mths) bracket with some in the 40-60months. Comparing her with other children I'd say her understanding is much improved and is nearly in line with her age but her actual speech is similar to the 3 year olds I know.

I find it hard with the gap too. M is now 10 and it is obvious thay he needs more help and has less independance!

what kind of thing does he need help with if you dont mind me asking? my fears are whether or not she will be independant

I know. She's working her socks off with her speech and language stuff on top of her normal school stuff and yet she won't catch up yet. But I definitely prefer knowing what's likely to happen.

She's (as all the children are) assessed constantly and her speech consistently falls in the 30-50months (2yrs 4mths-4yrs 2mths) bracket with some in the 40-60months. Comparing her with other children I'd say her understanding is much improved and is nearly in line with her age but her actual speech is similar to the 3 year olds I know.

My daughter has just started in a language unit so I am awaiting new assesment report. her last one put her at age 3 for some things that was the lowest age shes been in speech therapy almost 1 year for 30 mins a week sometimes fortnight. now though she will recieve therapy 4 days per week in this new placement . Im trying not to pin my hopes on it but I so hope it helps close the gap a little. such a worry our kids

The daily salt definitely seems to help Esther as 1 issue with her is that if she doesn't do something regulary then she looses it. Even though she's only been off school for a weeks she will of lost some of her letters that she knows as I haven't been able to look at the daily with her.

what kind of thing does he need help with if you dont mind me asking? my fears are whether or not she will be independant

Well with academic stuff he is fine with and hitting levels above average but he has a scribe for some of the tests amd his SAtS. He also goes in a room with his TA rather than in class for tests.

He needs help with fine motor, he can not do laces and sometimes needs help with zips etc

Some stuff he just can not understand because of his language delay. He can say anything and no one would notice by how he speaks but hos understanding is way way lower than his age and gets confused/takes offense easily.

Also cant walk in school alone/cant walk to friends. Cant be out my sight for even 1min and is starting secondary in 6mths. So things like that.

fortunately we don't have that her memory for things once she has learned them is really quite good. tonight especially I am just feeling drained. I feel like all I do is work on her language and fine motor skills. frustrating for us both

Thanks for sharing midnight fairy. its such a rollercoaster of emotions worrying all the time

That's definitely a plus.

I know what you mean. It's so nice now that we don't have any regular appointments to take her to.
We were advised by her SALT that now she's getting it every day at school we don't need to work on stuff with her at home as it'll just be too much for her as she doesn't get homework. If you can I would cut yourself a little slack and just enjoy playing with her etc otherwise life is just about speech and language!

Thanks Ladies. Iv given myself a shake and taken a look at the bigger picture. this week she started her new nursery perfectly. She has tried 3 new foods! (this is a huge deal) she now likes chicken. and she started sunday school today x

That's great.
Sometimes it's so hard to see the bigger picture but you definitely need to focus on that.
Plus God thinks she's pretty special just as she is :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->