my daughter is 5

alibaba24

Reaction score
Its just not sitting well with me :rofl:

seriously though in terms of her delays iv always told myself "oh its ok shes only 3" .... oh its ok shes only 4

now its like shes school age and its stressful the thought of her starting school and worrying if shes going to struggle or not and the fact her speech is a year and a half behind. worrying if that gap is going to close :shrug:

I feel the same. My son just turned 4, he's due to start school in September and I just can't picture it. I'm wondering what'll happen about homework and show/tell type activities because he has such limited speech. But the thing is he understands everything.
made such progress like yesterday with a friend and her boy at playbarn. Generally my son ignores her son, including one notable encounter when her son was begging mine 'talk to me, why won't you talk to me'
Yesterday her son said hello and my boy waved at him and said hello. This is massive for him but then I see his peers chatting away and having proper conversations and he seems miles behind

i feel you! when i see the conversations 5 year olds can have it is so upsetting. my daughter is the opposite of yours as her lanuage understanding is poor she is sociable but the lanuage puts up a barrier with peers

and that is a huge breakthrough for your son must have felt great

Does anyone with kids at school know what happens about homework? If our kid are unable to do it because of language etc do they just not do it?

Im only guessing it depends on what type of homework it is, the teacher might send a note home with the child. good question would like to know this myself

My son has never had homework besides reading books. He's currently in year 3. He has a statement though and had a 1-1 TA as that's what he needed in a mainstream school. His school was great. It was a village school so not sure if that makes a difference, but no one made fun of him for being behind or different. At the end of his time at that school he was even making his own friends.

However, for him mainstream school was to much and the gap just got bigger and bigger. We could see that and there was no point having him at the bottom of mainstream school for everything besides Maths. So he's not in a special autistic school and they have the teaching skills he needs to learn. I can honestly say in the last term (12 weeks) he's learnt more there than he did his whole time in mainstream school (3 years) his language has come on leaps and bounds. He's a different person.

Also I know that some schools like to get rid of the children after year 2 due to SATs. A child is suppose to improve steadily along a graph, as you know not all children, particularly some of ours, it doesn't work like that. If they don't think they'll improve to where the government wants you they will try and move you to a different school. The reason is down to money as they get more money each they pass. Which is a shame really.

I have this feeling every time another birthday comes round. Of course I'm happy it's his birthday and we are celebrating him, but I also have that sinking feeling that another year has gone by and he still can't talk :nope:

thanks for the info mummy2o peanut does your son have any diagnosis x

Does anyone with kids at school know what happens about homework? If our kid are unable to do it because of language etc do they just not do it?

My son either gets his owm homework, something easy, or he doesnt do it. Nowadays he is year 6 (age 10) and this is his first year doing homework. Luckily for him he has been reading since he was 2 and he has always hit his 'achievement targets' at school. That said, socially he is behind and like a 7/8yr old. X

P.s my son has autism and is in a mainstream school. In September he starts a mainstream secondary. He has a statement but no longer requires 1:1 x

Hugs I am dreading school we are almost finished with statementing I can't bear him going

Hugs. Very worrying. It will be nerve wrecking for me in Sept too. Secondary!

We're looking at some schools soon and the statement is about to go in front of the panel. So anytime really.

up here they dont go until they are 4 earliest x

Hugs. Very worrying. It will be nerve wrecking for me in Sept too. Secondary!

Could you try and find a secondary school with an autistic unit attached? We have a couple around where I live (I live in Bristol though so have loads over the area) and some parents think they are great. If school gets a bit to much they can go there and just relax for a bit then return to normal lessons. Also if he's doing fine in primary school, he'll be fine in secondary school. I have aspergers and managed fine in mainstream school (I didn't get diagnosed until 26). Plus there has been loads of improvements since I went to school and people are more aware of autism and more accommodating.

Thanks, yeah he is absolutely fine generally and loves his friends. He is in the top 3% with some of his levels and many of the SN schools do not do full gcses (currently!) Plus we live in a national park and have 3 schools available in distance) one is huge mainstream (where most go) other is a smaller secondary, which is mainstream but teachers have autism training and it has an amazing rep for children with asperger etc that function on their own but need occasional support and a sen school that is for severe needs and he doesnt really fit that. We are going and have applied for the small school and It sounds better than his junior! He wouldn't fit in at a sen school. I work at a primary sen school and I can see how he is in the right place. I am glad you thini he will be ok :) yes he has coped 7yrs in mainstream and doesn't require as much help as he used to for sure. Sometimes I dare say he even blends in! X

By what I've read, if he was my son and those where my choices I'd have picked the same.

They should give your children appropriate homework for their development. The school my two go to issues homework at the level they are at. My son (in year 3) isn't delayed but I know for a fact that his homework can be different to others in his class.

Esther is nearly 5 months into her schooling. Her homework is pitched just above her ability level. We have reading books which are the lowest band. To start off with we read the book to her and showed her the pictures. Then she started pointing out things in the pictures that she knew the words to. Then she started pointing at the words and asking what they were. She now tells me the letters that she knows-probably about 8 letters so far that she recognises.
She also gets sheets home with the letter of the week on it. She will colour in the specific letter and that's about it but there is more on the sheet to do, she just can't do it.

Honesty the teachers know what to expect from the child. I know it's a worry. We spent all summer convienced we'd made a mistake sending her to mainstream but she's been fine. The gap isn't closing up but she is improving little by little. 5 months ago I would never of said she'd know 8 letters by sight and the numbers 1-8. It doesn't seem much when all the others know so much more but compared with what she did know it's huge.

I've just been with her teacher going through her targets for the next few months. One is for her to be able to write the E, S and T for the start of her name! It doesn't sound much really.

School is a two way thing-you need to be talking to the school as soon as you get offered the school place in order to make sure they know what's going on. We even spoke to staff at the school before she'd had the place confirmed as we were applying for a statement so we knew we'd be bike to change our minds if the school didn't present itself well.

They should give your children appropriate homework for their development. The school my two go to issues homework at the level they are at. My son (in year 3) isn't delayed but I know for a fact that his homework can be different to others in his class.

Esther is nearly 5 months into her schooling. Her homework is pitched just above her ability level. We have reading books which are the lowest band. To start off with we read the book to her and showed her the pictures. Then she started pointing out things in the pictures that she knew the words to. Then she started pointing at the words and asking what they were. She now tells me the letters that she knows-probably about 8 letters so far that she recognises.
She also gets sheets home with the letter of the week on it. She will colour in the specific letter and that's about it but there is more on the sheet to do, she just can't do it.

Honesty the teachers know what to expect from the child. I know it's a worry. We spent all summer convienced we'd made a mistake sending her to mainstream but she's been fine. The gap isn't closing up but she is improving little by little. 5 months ago I would never of said she'd know 8 letters by sight and the numbers 1-8. It doesn't seem much when all the others know so much more but compared with what she did know it's huge.

I've just been with her teacher going through her targets for the next few months. One is for her to be able to write the E, S and T for the start of her name! It doesn't sound much really.

School is a two way thing-you need to be talking to the school as soon as you get offered the school place in order to make sure they know what's going on. We even spoke to staff at the school before she'd had the place confirmed as we were applying for a statement so we knew we'd be bike to change our minds if the school didn't present itself well.

Agree. I already have weekly contact with his secondary x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->