My dilemma

Novbaby08

Mom to Harley & Piper
Reaction score
I've always wanted a natural home birth or at least one out of a hospital.
Heres the thing, I'm broke, and it costs for me out of pocket, 1600-2600 for a birthing center, and 2900 for home.
My dilemma?
I'm on medicaid so if i go to an OBGyn and deliver at a hospital it costs me nothing. I'm 100% covered.

I have absolutely no support or encouragement to follow through with my dream of a birth outside a hospital, because of the cost.
I have always wanted to deliver at home, I'd even settle for a birthing center, but i don't have the money to do it. And that cost doesnt include ultrasounds, that would be another 150 which i dont have.:cry::cry:

u can still have a great natural birth in a hospital, just take things in with u to make it feel better.

its awful it costs so much to have a birthing centre or homebirth :(

I know but I had my daughter in a hospital it was an awful experience, I never want to go through that again. :cry:

:hugs: i had my first in hospital and it was horrible so like u thats why i planned/wanted a homebirth with my second.

i cant imagine having to get my hands on that amount of money just to get the birth i want :(

Do you have a choice in OBs? If so interview them and see where they stand on interventions. Also, hire a doula. Call around and get rates, ask about paent plans or even trading services. Also ask about an apprentice doula, much less expensive. Then you will have an extra advocate for your natural birth and the extra support.

Its because most the states have a stigma against using midwives and natural births and such so insurances won't cover them. So you have to pay in full to have that kind of birth.

God thats lousy :nope: i really don't know what to suggest as i have no experience of dealing with USA health care. :hugs:

Well because of the cost I've decided to go with a doula, and go forth and deliver at a hospital since I'm covered to do that 100% with an OBGyn. So hopefully this will go better.

I am also struggling with something similar. We are in the income guidelines to get medicaid, but I want a homebirth and my midwife doesn't accept it. We decided to bite the bullet to get the homebirth, but only because we had some savings set aside for it. If we didn't have any savings we'd have to go the hospital route too.

I'm not pg yet, but I thought I'd put in my two cents!

I work for a hospital system, so I basically have no choice but to give birth in a hospital due to my insurance. But if you have a choice of hospital, you can do some research and try to find one that has a more home-like atmosphere. My hospital for example has suites with pools, etc.

This might be too extreme of an idea - but would you be comfortable to deliver without any medical personal?
Or how about staying at home until you feel the need to push and then call the paramedics to deliver - they won't move you at the stage, but take you and the kid to the hospital for tests and recovery.
You could always claim it came too fast...

I'm just having a doula for the support and such I'll be in a hospital...instead of a birthing tub :(

:hugs: I'm in the same postion. My insurance will not cover a midwife birth (and I can't afford it), so I have to deliever at a hospital.
I had a bad experience with my son where I was forced an induction and pressured into an epidural because of the induction. I have charged my OB this time and have already had a few long discussion about what I want this time. I hope to make the best of my hospital experience this time, and I hope to have my natural experience there.

Some midwives do take medicaid. It depends on their certification. There is one where I live who say she accept medicaid.

I found a practice that has both OBs and a Midwife that work with the local hospital. That way I can see the midwife (and have a better chance for a natural birth) but its billed to the insurance through a regular OB office so its fully covered. I can't do a home birth since we live 45min from the nearest hospital so this is the best solution I could find. Would something that be possible for you?

Birthing in hospital is very expensive but it's safe. In home, I don't know if it good for you.

It seems ridiculous that medicaid will pay for a an expensive hospital birth full of interventions but a simple home birth which is far cheaper they won't. Typical of govts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->