My family are driving me INSANE!

Kess

Reaction score
Quite a while ago, I asked my Mom to be here at my homebirth. She's positive about birth, and I figured she'd be a good support for my husband (he's scared that me or Dinky are going to die, and that he won't be a good enough support, bless him, so having someone else there means there's less pressure on him). The assumption was made (by us all) that my Dad would need to be here too, since my Mom can't drive and they live 40 miles away, so we (DH, me and Mom) planned my Dad chilling out in my husband's bedroom upstairs, where there's a computer with internet and a tv/dvd (and an xbox if my Dad wanted to try and figure that out!), a bed if he wants to rest, etc. I might quite like him around during the early bit of labour, he's a nice calming presence, but I won't want him there when things get heavy, and certainly not whilst I'm pushing. I haven't really spoken to Dad about our expectations, though I think I've mentioned him being able to chill upstairs. I was also hoping he'd take the dogs out for a walk every few hours or so, to keep them calm.

Then my sister sort of invited herself along to the birth too (when my Mom mentioned she was coming, Sister basically said, "Me too!"), and I can't really say no since I do want her to be there straight afterwards to meet Dinky, but I have warned her if I don't feel like having her there on the day she'll be upstairs with Dad.

I was warning Mom the other day that since I have no idea how I'll feel on the day, if having the house full of people (we're in a tiny period property) is interfering with my labouring then they'll be told to leave, so maybe they ought to have a plan (like going to the pub, going for a walk locally, etc). Today she said she'd mentioned this to Dad and then when I said I'd need to talk to him about the game plan for labour she said to be careful to emphasise that we were wanting him there, as she's worried he's "feeling used", though she then said he's been up and down like a yo-yo recently so that might be it (lots of stuff going on in his side of the family, a death in 09, redundancy, etc). Mom apparently tried to explain that women can have very strong emotions in labour, and it's impossible to know beforehand how I'll feel about anything including their presence, but I don't think he is likely to have understood.

I feel like telling the lot of them to bugger off and that I'll be fine with just DH and MW, but I do think having Mom there will be a positive thing probably. And I really want Dad and Sister there to meet Dinky asap. And extra hands to make tea for the MW (and snacks for us all!) will be helpful lol. DH says they're being daft and that we should tell them if they can't get with the programme and accept that this is about supporting me and their first grandchild in his entry into the world, they can just not come. I think that's a little harsh, but I'm not sure what to say or how. Does anyone have any advice? I was thinking of sending the three of them an email basically emphasising how much I love them all and what I need from them and why. Good idea? Bad idea?

I'm afraid i agree with your husband.

Although it's exciting for everyone, this is mainly about getting your little one into the world as easily and safely as possible.

This is just added stress that you don't really need.

Having said that, you obviously want them there, so try to find a way to explain to them that although they are all excited, this needs to be about you, your husband and bubba and what works best for you and you'd really like their support. Explain that this is very important to you and it's very important to you to have them there, but this is how you'd like it go...

I hope that they understand how you feel and everything goes smoothly for you :)

You might find some of the comments on this thread helpful :flower:

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/671027-your-birth.html

If they are not 100% (and I MEAN 100%!!) on board with your wishes and completely 100% understanding.... then their presence at your house could be harmful, rather than helpful. :wacko:

I'd hire a doula instead (for that extra pair of hands you mentioned, and as support for your DH as well as yourself) but that's just me.

Well, I've written an email to them all outlining what I'd like from them and what to expect (as far as I can plan). We'll see how it goes down. My Mom will do whatever she can to make me comfortable, and will have no problems following my wishes. My Dad certainly will do as he's told, I'm just trying to make sure now in how I phrase things etc that he doesn't feel he's only here to drive Mom up and walk the dogs for me. I'm feeling a bit more positive about it all atm, so we'll just make sure they all read the email and then we should be good to go.

Thank you all for letting me unburden myself, I was feeling in a bit of a tizzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->