My first 10 days as a new Mum

lilbugs

Reaction score
So it's 10 days since little Ella was born. I thought I would post about how it has been for me - any other first time Mums to be may be interested….

Some things that have surprised me:-

1. I have found my maternal instinct! After many years of not being at all interested in children I have enjoyed the past week so much and looking after Ella seems to have come naturally. I guess it is true what they say about its different when its your own kids.

2. I can survive on 2 hours sleep - I think mainly as I have been so excited and buzzing about my little girl.

3. It turns out breast feeding is ok - I wasn't really looking forward to this but in fact its enjoyable especially to have the time to sit still quietly for half an hour or so.

4. My bra size has gone from 36A pre pregnancy to a 36D!

5. Dealing with family and friends is hard work. Even though we've only had 4 lots of visitors it has been very tiring despite being lovely to see people and show off the baby. Also feeling guilty about all the cards and presents that arrive and not having time to reply to emails/say thanks for gifts.

6. Sleeping is still uncomfortable (although better than before the birth) - hips still not quite right due to hormones and still need a pillow between the legs.

7. I am starving all the time and eat like a horse (including left over curry at 6am!). Having said that I only have a stone to lose now from the 2.5 stones I put on with Ella.

8. Time seems to fly by, the other day I was still in my nightie at 1pm despite having been up since 8am...

Some tips for other new Mums to be:-

1. Get everything ready before feeding baby eg. put music/tv on, get a drink, go to the loo, have a pillow ready….

2. If baby won't settle at night then try swaddling in something you have been wearing during the day.

3. If baby too sleepy to feed try gently blowing in her face.

4. It's useful to have a notebook to hand when feeding, especially if you are a lists person like me. I'm so tired i struggle to remember things so use feeding time when have spare right hand to write everything down and make to do lists.

5. Internet shopping is the way forward!

Here are a couple more pics of E - in order 4, 5, 7 and 10 days old

PS I still have to post my birth story and will make that a job for next week.

Attachments

• 4 days old.jpg
    4 days old.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 5 days old.jpg
    5 days old.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 7 days old.jpg
    7 days old.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 10 days old.jpg
    10 days old.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 40
Hey, she is absolutely gorgeous and if this is your first baby, then you're doing a fabulous job, well done you :) They are fab tips. Really glad that the b/f is going well for you, it's such a special thing to be able to do and as they put on weight it's amazing knowing you're responsible for it :thumbup: Laughed at the amount of sleep tip, it is crazy what our bodies put up with isn't it?!!
Take care :hugs:

Omg!! Look at all her hair! How adorable!!
Thanks for this post, really useful :) And congratulations xx

Thank you, she is georgous too!

I am worryign about the maternal instinct too as never really been broody so there is hope for me :)

This should be a sticky-'hints & tips' for new mums!

What a beautiful little baby :hugs:

Thanks for the tips much appreciated!x

Awww she's so gorgeous and you sound so happy! :D :hugs:

awww bless im a first time mum as well i love it even though it is a challenge!!

Absolutely beautiful baby! You must be so proud! =] The tips are wonderful and a great idea! You're doing an amazing job! Can't wait for my little one to arrive!
Best of luck love, XxXx

Aww, she's such a cutie! Thanks for sharing and for the lovely pictures.:flower:

Awww she is fab! Can't believe how much hair she has :) congrats x

congratson a gorgeous little girl hun, and those tips are fab :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"