My friend's baby is 5 weeks early

GuernseyGirl

Reaction score
I don't know whether or not to be worried (although I am pretty worried right now).

I got a text from her husband this morning to say the baby had been born (wasn't due for another 5 weeks). He's in special care and weighs 6lb. He said that he's doing 'OK'.

It seems like a pretty good weight to me (My DD was 6lb 3oz at term +4!!) and I was thinking that perhaps he was just in there to make sure he's doing ok.

However, what got me worried was that I saw my friend's mum in town this afternoon and passed pleasantries about it being a surprise etc etc and then asked if everything was ok - she seemed quite negative and said 'it's early days' which made it sound like things weren't so good. I'm not sure if her mum was just being cautious or is in shock or what but it's got me worried that something isn't right!

Any ideas?

:hug: Sorry no advice here but I hope your friend and her LO are doing well

Kerry Katona's baby seemed to be just fine and 5lb something 5 weeks early. I hope your friends baby is alright too.

Hope her baby is ok :hugs:

Nathan was born 5 weeks early weighing 5lb 12oz and he was fine :)

6lbs is great for 5 weeks early. I guess what you need to find out is if he is breathing on hisown, if so thats a really GOOD sign!

As van west says 6 lbs is a very good weight for that age, it really depends
what caused the premature birth but the baby is no doubt in very good hands

I got a text message today.

Unfortunately my friend's baby's (yet to be named!) lung has collapsed and he's on a ventilator and chest drain. He is on morphine and sedated so seems comfortable. Obviously they are anxious - and have not been able to hold him yet.

I feel so useless - nothing I can do!

:hugs: One of my nephews had a lung collapse (he was premature--about the same amount of time too if I remember correctly) as well (he had pnemonia and a few other complications) BUT he's now a very happy, healthy 15 year old :D

i had my baby at 34weeks +6. He weighed 4lb 14oz and he went into special care, was there for a couple of hours and he doin great now, 6lbs sounds a good weight for 5weeks eaely, the baby is in good hands where he is xx

There was baby across from Noah in the NICU, and his lung collapsed they put in the chest tube, and it was amazing within a few days he was doing great!

I'm sorry to hear about your friends baby :( My little boy was born at 28 weeks and his lung collapsed at 1 day old as well and he was fine despite his very early birth. Its very rare at 35 weeks though to have such lung difficulties, 3 of my children were born at 35 weeks and were fine, no assistance needed at all; they have been really unlucky :(

I hope he makes a very speedy recovery :hugs:

Thanks to you all for your responses.

No more news today - guess it must be pretty stressful for mum & dad right now. Just hope they are doing ok. Will update you all when I hear more!

I hope all is ok hun. He may just have some breathing problems which often right themselves.

Some good news!

I got a text last night to say baby is now off ventilator and chest drain has been removed. I'm so pleased!

My friend was able to change his nappy (inside the incubator) and had her first cuddle with him too. They will probably be in for another couple of weeks but doing well.

Thanks for all your comments - it was good to be able to share my worries!

Thats great news :) pleased he's doing ok!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"